Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Is it a disadvantage to be at the featured table?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a disadvantage to be thrown into a feature table with a bunch of known players instead of being in a randomly selected seat that might have 1 other pro at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, the tables are selected by random. ESPN does not pick people to put at a tv table. Once the tables are set, then ESPN looks for an interesting table to make the featured table. So if you are at the tv table with 3 pros, it isn't because ESPN picked you. You would be at that table with the 3 pros whether or not it is on tv.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hypothesis is quite reasonable, but, in my experience, the opposite is true. People try fewer fancy plays, because they are afraid of looking foolish. It may be that I have the evidence that you're bluffable on a given hand, and I should try to bluff you when I have no hand and no draw. However, if I know I'm going to look foolish on TV if it doesn't work out, I might choose to forego the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being generally camera-shy in the first place, and being by no means a "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!!" type of guy, I absolutely HATED being at the featured table.

You are absolutely right, Greg--I would be one of those guys who tightens way the hell up and hopes the plays put in front of me will be fairly straightforward, so for the six or so hours I was under the lights with the cameras in my face, I definitely let a few opportunities pass that I might otherwise have not let pass. It was not entirely due, however, to a fear of looking foolish; I was concerned that I might actually have transformed myself into a mass of tells, and that my plays might have a commensurately lower probability of success.

Also, you get so many fewer hands, it's really annoying. Everyone starts mugging, looking for the soundbite, whatever.

Granted, it comes with the territory, but for someone like me, it's a huge annoyance.

But next time around, I have no intention of letting it change my play in the least.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a disadvantage to be thrown into a feature table with a bunch of known players instead of being in a randomly selected seat that might have 1 other pro at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, the tables are selected by random. ESPN does not pick people to put at a tv table. Once the tables are set, then ESPN looks for an interesting table to make the featured table. So if you are at the tv table with 3 pros, it isn't because ESPN picked you. You would be at that table with the 3 pros whether or not it is on tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh ok. My bad, sorry did not read the whole thing.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM

I sure wish ESPN would have switched the feature table to Greg and Mike the Mouth. At one point, Mike says to Greg, "you have all my chips." Can you tell us what happened Greg. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 PM

Mike was talking about last year. I got moved to that table near the end of the night, and nothing noteworthy happened involving me while I was there. It was less than an hour, and maybe even only half an hour, I forget exactly. But as soon as I sat down, we all knew it wouldn't be for long.

It was a super deep table, for sure. Whatever the average stack was at that point, we had at least 3x that many chips at that table.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:48 AM

Well..would you rather have 1-2-3 or ZERO poker pros at your table??? Easy question.

As for how the TV changes the way people play. I would say it makes pros play "more fancy" and the amatures play tighter.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 PM

I'd think the play moves slower because of all the shots the camera needs to get. If you want more hands (I'd think most pros would against amateurs) then it may be a pain. But a little TV exposure and sponsorship $$ never hurt to make up for it.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:13 PM

what feature table were you at? who else was at the table? has it aired yet? you probably posted about all this but I missed it. . .
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what feature table were you at? who else was at the table? has it aired yet? you probably posted about all this but I missed it. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Day 1-C of the main event, when Marcel Luske and Simon Tennant were at the table.

I was in the one seat. In six hours at the table, the only thing I am shown doing is stacking one pot, and even that was from a distance.

ESPN's need to minimize my exposure only deepens my suspicions that I am a hideous freak.

But I made it deep into Day 2, so they can just kiss my rosy red ass, warts and all.

I guess if my ass had warts on it, it wouldn't really be "rosy and red," but you get the idea.