Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Default GSIH: \"outs to more outs\"?

I'm reading GSIH. On page 79 (discussing Limit), he writes that "'outs to more outs' are worth something". Does anybody know how to quantify this?

I think about this when I have a 3-flush -- if the turn is my suit, the number of my valid outs have sprung up to 9. But they say a back-door flush draw is really only worth 1.5 outs. This makes sense, since you need the river to help too. But is there something somewhere that elaborates a bit more fully on this topic?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: GSIH: \"outs to more outs\"?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm reading GSIH. On page 79 (discussing Limit), he writes that "'outs to more outs' are worth something". Does anybody know how to quantify this?

I think about this when I have a 3-flush -- if the turn is my suit, the number of my valid outs have sprung up to 9. But they say a back-door flush draw is really only worth 1.5 outs. This makes sense, since you need the river to help too. But is there something somewhere that elaborates a bit more fully on this topic?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Small Stakes Hold 'em discusses this in detail.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

What a perfect answer. He's become Mason! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But is there something somewhere that elaborates a bit more fully on this topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a perfect answer. He's become Mason! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair...Ed is responding to exactly the question that was asked. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE does a great job explaining all about outs, and when you are ready, you should get it and study it. But sometimes what works for me is just "keep it simple stupid." In this case, just memorize that a backdoor flush adds 1.5 outs to the other outs you have! It can thus put you over the top and have you continue in a hand you would otherwise fold.

Plus, sucking out runner runner style is awesome! The table thinks you are a moron, but you actually made a totally sound play, and you can use that image to win more in the session.

-ptmusic
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM

King Yao's book does a better job than SSH of quantifying the value of backdoor draws.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
King Yao's book does a better job than SSH of quantifying the value of backdoor draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'd have to agree.

Don't worry, I still love you and SSH, Ed :-P

Edit: I should really get paid for all my plugs ;-p