Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: What\'s the Game of the Future?

3D TEXAS HOLDEM
Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM

You're talking about the old way of doing things. This is a thread about the future. If you play online then you would see that NL and O8 games are soaring in popularity. Yes right now (the present) limit has a strangle hold on the market but as poker progresses (the future) I think you'll see O8 become the game of choice for two reasons.

(1) The extra action makes it more appealing to newbies who feel that they play good with their 6789. More luck etc....

(2) Since the BB/HR is double what it is for hold em. Seasoned players will flock to it (like they are now) for it's "juicy factor"*

*Juicy factor is a registered trademark of Royaltrux Inc.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 PM

I can't see O/8 becoming as popular as a lot of you do. Most players want s i m p l e. That's what makes Hold'em so popular. I think NL will start to die down soon and more limit will take over...pineapple could be a possibility to take off, but I doubt it.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Easy question. It's that game they played on the old Battlestar Galactica series with the funny shaped cards. Duh.

Then again, it'll be a moot point since our simian overlords won't allow us time to play when we're working in the space mines.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Any bridge players around? If so, you are probably familiar with this concept, but for those who aren't - let me introduce you to duplicate play.

When applied to bridge, this is done live, but for poker I see it working better on a computer. Lets say 200 people are playing, 20 tables of ten players. Each table plays 500 hands, but the twist is that they are the same hands at each table. You are competing against the 19 other people that are sitting in the same position you are at the other tables, since they are in the same situation (same cards, position, opposition) you are for each hand. This generally leads to some great post-mortem discussion of hands. I am a reader of the Micro and SS threads and often see conflicting advice for posted hands. Duplicate play gives players a chance to directly compare the results of different actions in nearly identical conditions.

I don't necessarily see this as the "next big thing", but a great tool for training and practical research.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 PM

Pl 6 card Omaha
Old 03-30-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a thread about the future. If you play online then you would see that NL and O8 games are soaring in popularity. Yes right now (the present) limit has a strangle hold on the market

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he wasn't talking about the future when he mentioned O/8. He said "Now, the big games are OH/L and NLHM." That is a statement about right now and is definitely not true (as you appear to agree).

[ QUOTE ]
as poker progresses (the future) I think you'll see O8 become the game of choice for two reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
How long have people been saying this for? Hasn't omaha been the "game of the future" for like a decade now? If anything, I see less O/8 today than I did five years ago (relative to the amount of holdem).
Old 03-30-2005, 07:44 PM

I believe the sudden rush in popularity of poker (I'm talking about the people who jump on band wagon of a new fad type) and see the flames of popularity dying down in a couple of years, maybe three, and we'll might see a somewhat regression in the games thrown esp 7CS maybe lowball, although I think limit HE will be always be around for long time - it's deceptively simple to beginners.
Let me throw in this analogy about the nature of "fads" as I see it. I'm been a fly fisherman since I was about 12 and it seriously annoyed me when all these idiots in their brand new Orvis crap started crowding my local streams just because they saw "A River Runs Through It". Well, the fad died down in a few years and only those dedicated stuck with it. Why? Because the bucketheads found out that fly fishing takes up a life of time, dedication, and motivation to be successful and most importantly, you do it because you enjoy it not because "it's cool". Sounds to me alot like poker.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM

I think limit hold'em (and maybe no-limit) will continue to grow at a fast rate.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:57 PM

Hold 'em in general, but Limit Hold 'em specifically. Hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) already know this game only.

(I say Limit because there are complexities to it that the typical amateur probably does not understand, whereas the betting in Limit is more intuitive and more merciful to the mass of otherwise unskilled players.)