Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Default OESD -- Bet out? Or Check and Call?

You flop an open-end straight draw. The pot odds would justify a call if someone bet. Should you just bet right away? Or check with the hope of catching a free card, and calling if necessary? I'm wondering if you should pad the pot so that you ensure getting paid off when you do hit your straight.

What if you flop a flush draw?

What if you flop both an OESD and a flush draw? Do you bet (knowing you'd call anyway)?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: OESD -- Bet out? Or Check and Call?

[ QUOTE ]
You flop an open-end straight draw. The pot odds would justify a call if someone bet. Should you just bet right away? Or check with the hope of catching a free card, and calling if necessary? I'm wondering if you should pad the pot so that you ensure getting paid off when you do hit your straight.

What if you flop a flush draw?

What if you flop both an OESD and a flush draw? Do you bet (knowing you'd call anyway)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the number of opponents. But a double draw is a capping hand AFAIK.

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert)
Old 03-06-2005, 08:43 PM

That depends on many factors, including your position, your opponents, but most importantly, your position relative to a preflop raiser. If you were raised preflop by someone immediately to your left, you almost certainly want to check, usually with the intention of raising, to pump your draw. If there are two other people in the pot, you'll want to raise. If there are two or more (I think you need 3 for an OESD) callers on a flush draw, you're making money. Put that preflop raiser on your right, and you want to do just the opposite: bet out, hoping that he raises you catching the field for an extra bet. You'll also want to consider your position relative to any LAGs who raise frequently. Your goal is to get as much money in the pot from as many people as possible, usually not knock people out.

If the table is passive, you may be best betting out, since they'll call and may not bet, and if someone raises you, you may even be able to make it 3 bets and get people calling 2 more.

It can be tough to always get it right, but if it was easy, we wouldn't be making as much money.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 PM

I believe getting exactly two callers on a flush draw is essentially break-even (2:1 pot/calling odds vs. 1.9:1 pot equity), no?
-C.