Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Bubble - AQo UTG

This is from the ESPN Daily Big Play (play money) MTT but I thought it was a very interesting hand...

22/1422 players left, blinds T5,000/10,000
Top 20 qualify for "Sunday Qualifier Tournament" where you are eligible to win grand prize - trip to vegas or something.

8 handed
Hero is UTG with ~T40,000, TAG
UTG+2 has ~T55,000, LAG
BB has ~T45,000, TAG but overbets

Hero is dealt AQo, raises to T20,000
UTG+2 calls
BB goes all in

Your move?

Results in white:

<font color="white"> Everyone calls all in, UTG+2 has KK, BB has AJs, UTG+2 wins with a pair of kings, Hero caught a meaningless queen on river </font>
Old 11-15-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Bubble - AQo UTG

I probably fold this, because hopefully I'm in the top 20 in chips, and can fold my way in. I mean, it's a play money satellte with ridiculous blinds, surely someone will be forced all-in blind before I am, or donk off his chips with something like AQo when he can fold his way into the money...oh wait...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 AM

We need to know more about the stacks of other short stacks, and the average stack.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:31 AM

lol

I know it's play money, but I thought this was an interesting "situational" hand. I mentioned I was UTG, so the blind was coming for me, and I had good odds. You still fold?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We need to know more about the stacks of other short stacks, and the average stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avg was ~T55,000, short stack was around T20,000, but not at my table so I don't know what position he was in. The short stack at my table was late position with ~T30,000
Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this sentiment 100%. Even with the new knowledge, I'm still foldin' this. I'm more than willing to "blind race" with the field, especially when there are probably at least 2 idiots who are willing to gambool it up with marginal hands. Stall a bunch after the blinds pass you, and you're pretty much guaranteed the seat, I would think.

Edit: I'm still trying to think of where I would draw the line and push here. I'm thinking 15k.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this sentiment 100%. Even with the new knowledge, I'm still foldin' this. I'm more than willing to "blind race" with the field, especially when there are probably at least 2 idiots who are willing to gambool it up with marginal hands. Stall a bunch after the blinds pass you, and you're pretty much guaranteed the seat, I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Should I have just limped instead of minraising? What about folding this hand from the get-go? I'm trying to improve my bubble play (yes I do play real MTTs) and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Should I have just limped instead of minraising? What about folding this hand from the get-go? I'm trying to improve my bubble play (yes I do play real MTTs) and insight is greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding from the get-go is far and away the best option of the three you mentioned. If I had 15k or less, I would push AQ; maybe even if I had 20k and I was the shortest stack.

Oh, and this is about the opposite of how you would play on the bubble of a non-satellite. In a regular MTT, the difference between folding your way into the money and winning is astronomical. Here, it is 0.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding from the get-go is far and away the best option of the three you mentioned. If I had 15k or less, I would push AQ; maybe even if I had 20k and I was the shortest stack.

Oh, and this is about the opposite of how you would play on the bubble of a non-satellite. In a regular MTT, the difference between folding your way into the money and winning is astronomical. Here, it is 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. Appreciate the advice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

edit
OT: Is winning in play money easier or harder than winning in real money? Or is it apples and oranges?
/edit
Old 11-15-2005, 08:49 AM

I don't care for the play in this particular hand. You have enough for 4BB left and decided to put half your stack in there and now you're questioning whether or not to put the rest?

If you were considering folding into a prize you should have not put any chips in to start out with. Realize you now have enough to post one each SB and BB, but then you're left with only 5k and if the blinds should happen to make it back around to you you're out - period! Hero should have decided before the hand to either play it hard or not at all.