Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Can I get out of this alive?

The table was very loose and this is the first level.

My stack: 985
everyone else in the hand has close to that or has me covered.

Blinds: 5/10

My hand: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button

PREFLOP: First 3 players limp, next 3 players fold, I call, sb completes, BB checks.

FLOP: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (T60) 6 players
Checked to UTG, UTG BETS 70, 1 fold, MP1 calls 70, I call, blinds fold.

*I elected to just call here although an all-in is reasonable because I'd rather keep the pot smaller if I can and bring the hammer down AFTER I make my hand then to risk my tourny with a smaller edge. I know my hand is a monster but I'm a "bird in the hand" guy I guess.

TURN: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (T270) 3 players
UTG BETS 120, MP1 folds, I RAISE to 300, UTG GOES ALL-IN,

I now have 605 chips left and the pot is 1295.

I call and he shows the nut flush w/ ATs leaving me with 1 out instead of the 2 I figured I'd have if behind.

Is there any way I don't go broke on this hand?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Can I get out of this alive?

[ QUOTE ]

Is there any way I don't go broke on this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, fold it preflop, pretty simple [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Read this on ITH and thought fold preflop too. You may be getting goodish odds but why take risks with tiny bets.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:00 PM

100 BB, a decent multiway hand, 3 limpers, and the button.

Easy PF call.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read this on ITH and thought fold preflop too. You may be getting goodish odds but why take risks with tiny bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely because they are tiny. I think 78s on the button v. loose players is plenty worth 1/99th of my stack.

PS. Yes, I post on ITH as well and often post my hands on both here and there which makes me feel a bit dirty. I can't figure out why though.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:10 PM

In a cash game, you can play this hand on the button in your loose game and it will make money for you. In tournaments, however, the name of the game is surviving the early madness to finish ITM, then going for the win. Folding preflop here is your best move, you want to minimize the risks you take take early so you can survive.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a cash game, you can play this hand on the button in your loose game and it will make money for you. In tournaments, however, the name of the game is surviving the early madness to finish ITM, then going for the win. Folding preflop here is your best move, you want to minimize the risks you take take early so you can survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in cash games you usually wont have much more than 100BBs and neither will all of your opponents as is the case on this hand. Calling for 10 chips is hardly jeopardizing my tournament life (even though I went broke [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). You've got to play some hands eventually.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Early stages of tourneys are very similar to cash games with stacks of huge blind multiples. This is a fine call pre-flop, and there's nothing wrong with the line played either. You could argue for a big raise on the flop, but I doubt ATs would have folded in a loose online SnG. More importantly, I think you win more when you hit and lose less when you don't in the long run when you just call this flop. The overflush is not something you can worry about here. When it happens, you lose.

In my view, this is just one of those times where the poster was doomed.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 PM

I'm all about pushfolding but calling in a big multiway pot with 76s for 1% of your stack is good poker. Anyone who is saying fold preflop is nuts nuts nuts.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all about pushfolding but calling in a big multiway pot with 76s for 1% of your stack is good poker. Anyone who is saying fold preflop is nuts nuts nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually is was 87s. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I agree, the call is a no brainer.