Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Default silly question with some debate on it last night at a home game.

Okay, a couple of nights a week I play in a cash game with some friends and they run it as a $1 "big blind" game. There is no SB, just the BB.

The question that came up was in regards to a straddle bet (making it 2 bucks to go), and what would be the next raise. Would the next bet have to be at least 3 or would it be four? This was brought up when a player announced raise, put out 3 dollars and reached back for more chips. The ruling at the house was that the raise was to 3 dollars, and that anything more would have been a string bet.

I disagreed and said that the person would have had to make it at least 4 to go.

Am I an idiot, or was I correct?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: silly question with some debate on it last night at a home game.

at least 4 to go
Old 11-30-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, a couple of nights a week I play in a cash game with some friends and they run it as a $1 "big blind" game. There is no SB, just the BB.

The question that came up was in regards to a straddle bet (making it 2 bucks to go), and what would be the next raise. Would the next bet have to be at least 3 or would it be four? This was brought up when a player announced raise, put out 3 dollars and reached back for more chips. The ruling at the house was that the raise was to 3 dollars, and that anything more would have been a string bet.

I disagreed and said that the person would have had to make it at least 4 to go.

Am I an idiot, or was I correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

The stradle was a one dollar raise. The next raise has to be at least as big as the first raise, so a dollar. The min raise was to 3 total. So you're wrong on this one.

Apparently you guys are playing NL though? I've never understood the point of a straddle in a NL game.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

Just thought I'd reply again to post a link to help you out. http://www.homepokertourney.com/betting.htm

Robert's Rules of Poker says that a straddle is essentially another blind, meaning a raise must equal that value. Most places I've seen use that rule, however in another site I read that some card rooms only consider it a raise. But the majority of sites I checked, and my experience, has been that it is considered a new base value, and not a raise.

That is why if there is a 2nd straddle, it is double the original straddle, and not the difference between the straddle and the blind.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert's Rules of Poker says that a straddle is essentially another blind, meaning a raise must equal that value.

That is why if there is a 2nd straddle, it is double the original straddle, and not the difference between the straddle and the blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're wrong about restraddling- in a limit $2/4 game, the UTG straddle would be $4 (BB is $2) and the restraddle is $6, NOT $8.
Straddling does not allow you to violate the betting structure of the game

As to Robert's Rules, here is what it says:
"STRADDLE: An additional blind bet placed after the forced blinds, usually double the big blind in size or in lowball, a multiple blind game."

"NO-LIMIT RULES- All bets must be at least equal to the minimum bring-in, unless the player is going all-in. (A straddle bet sets a new minimum bring-in, and is not treated as a raise.)"

Later version #5 of Robert's Rules may have amended the NL section to say the min. bet is still the normal minimum, not the straddle amount, on later streets.

So, if the OP's game is an NL game with one $1 blind, I'm not sure if min. bring-ins with a straddle are $1 or $2 on later rounds. If it changes the bring in, then a raise would be from the straddler's $2 to $4 as a minimum. If not, then the next raise is to $3.

(BTW, this answers the question on using straddles in NL. If if raises the minimum bet on all streets, then you're changing a $1/2 NL game to $2/4, without changing the blinds, in effect)

Now, sometimes when people say "straddle" they really mean "blind raise" in that you act in turn and you can't reraise yourself.
Only a true straddle (a "live" straddle) allows reraising again.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM

You are correct that in limit, a REstraddle uses the difference between the straddle and the BB...eg $6 bb, $12 straddle, and $18 restraddle.

However in a NL game, its would be 6, 12, 24.

And the version of Robert's Rules that I posted is an updated version, and it clearly says that it changes the minimum bring in (so you must raise that amount), however it doesn't change the minimum on other streets. So on the flop, you may bet the bb, you do not have to bet the straddle.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However in a NL game, its would be 6, 12, 24.

And the version of Robert's Rules that I posted is an updated version, and it clearly says that it changes the minimum bring in (so you must raise that amount), however it doesn't change the minimum on other streets. So on the flop, you may bet the bb, you do not have to bet the straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so in NL only (what about PL, if straddling is allowed?) the last straddle amount determines the minimum bet/raise amount PREFLOP ONLY. Using your example, a raise of the straddled amounts would be to $48 as a minimum and a reraise would be to $72 minimum- correct?

So you use the straddle in NL to increase the pot size and theoretically the future action gets bigger, with more to play for/go after.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 PM

Correct on all counts. In addition to inflating the potsize, the straddle can be used if you have tight players who may fold to your straddle, when they may otherwise call (ie, if the small blind is tight he might fold to the straddle)

It also helps to disguise your hand. If you have a big hand and you raise, ppl may think you're simply doing it to protect your straddle. If you flat call, no one knows what you have, and you can win alot of money.

For the most part, its not used very often, and probably for good reason :P
Old 11-30-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the most part, its not used very often, and probably for good reason :P

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding.

BTW, ever heard of a sleeper straddle?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:58 PM

hmm yea, a straddle from a position other than under the gun...there's certain rules on when its valid