Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: We Are Safe From Bird Flu!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people question micro-evolution. We can observe micro-evolution. It's macro-evolution that theists question. That's why your argument is a strawman.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the intelligent designer was only smart enough to use evolution on a micro-level, but not smart enough to make it work on the macro-level?

[ QUOTE ]
We can observe micro-evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only the intelligent designer had created observers with better powers of observation, then maybe macro-evolution would work too.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I am assuming that the dividing line between micro- and macro- evolution is defined by what "theists" can observe.

Which brings up another question - what are these "theists", I thought one of the fundamental claims of intelligent design was that it was a SCIENCE not a RELIGION, so shouldn't we be depending on the observations of SCIENTISTS, not the claims of THEISTS?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the intelligent designer was only smart enough to use evolution on a micro-level, but not smart enough to make it work on the macro-level?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or didn't want it to. Or didn't care. Who knows?

[ QUOTE ]
If only the intelligent designer had created observers with better powers of observation, then maybe macro-evolution would work too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently you don't know what macro-evolution is.

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that the dividing line between micro- and macro- evolution is defined by what "theists" can observe.

[/ QUOTE ]
You assumed wrong. Go learn about the topic before you post sarcastic things that make you look stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
Which brings up another question - what are these "theists"[?]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you being intentionally dense or do you just not know?
If the latter, dictionary.com is your friend.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought one of the fundamental claims of intelligent design was that it was a SCIENCE not a RELIGION, so shouldn't we be depending on the observations of SCIENTISTS, not the claims of THEISTS?

[/ QUOTE ]
There aren't that many people who believe in ID. And I doubt you'll find many believers in ID here. In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the intelligent designer did create evolution in virus, but not for any higher species that he created 8,000 years ago?

(just trying to keep up with the latest advances in modern science education)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people question micro-evolution. We can observe micro-evolution. It's macro-evolution that theists question. That's why your argument is a strawman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just theists or creationists question macro-evolution. Many scientists (primarily microbiologists) question some aspects of macro-evolution. One of the insidiuous parts of the whole ID debate is to paint all people who critique traditional Darwinism with the same brush.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope -- there are, obviously, policy ramifications of Intelligent Design, just as there are political ramifications for calling something a "Holiday Tree" instead of a Christmas tree. There is clearly topical overlap.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:51 PM

I fear that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will unleash this bird flu on us as punishment for driving pirates to near-extinction.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope -- there are, obviously, policy ramifications of Intelligent Design, just as there are political ramifications for calling something a "Holiday Tree" instead of a Christmas tree. There is clearly topical overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 AM

Booo to this post! I opened it up expecting some sort of content on the bird flu and only found a strawman evolution vs intelligent design thread.

That bird flu could very well be some real nasty business. This tread will look to be in VERY bad taste if an outbreak does happen and 200 million do die.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 AM

What's worse is that I'm pretty sure that very few of the people posting in this thread believe in ID but cardcounter has them defending it because his argument is so poorly thought out, sarcastic and arrogant. Shame really.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 AM

and if the bird flu does sweep thru, we can just say it was God's Justice that killed all those people...

lose half the population of the US? - That's not irresponsibility on the part of health officials who diverted money to weapons and arms - that's just God's Justice - LOL

good plan - I'll bring it up with my next meeting with the heads of FOX news.

RB
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Default That\'s the point.

Black is white, Good is evil, what ever stupid subject, no matter how stupid, will get defended by some if it is part of the Party line.

How can you debate a half way reasonable subject when invisible cloud beings are defended.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]