Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Another Draw situation

You are in the SB with a medium Trip hand, like 3 Ts.
UTG folds, CO raises, Button folds, You re-raise, BB folds, CO caps, you call.

So your heads up, and draw two.
CO stands pat.

Is there enough of a chance that the CO is standing pat with two pair, or a lower trips in realtion to the pot size to warrant a check-call? You are getting around 5.5 to 1

This is absent a read I guess, because this situation has not occured with this opponent before and I do not know if he is capable of making a play like this. If I saw him do it before it would change my play more likely to a call. Also, if you would be willing to call, what is the minimum hand you would do so with?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Another Draw situation

Check-call. People often panic when they get 3-bet and stand pat to try to steal the pot away. Minimum calling requirements are player dependent.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:41 PM

no matter what biggle says(sorry [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) this is not a situation for a ck-call. not even with AAA and for that matter not with most pat str8's. if you call here you will lose more often than one time in six, you will just be wasting a bet. you will find that you are up against a pat hand much more often than one time in six.

you should call according to game theory. (no more than one time in six, without a read). like any time you draw a 9 or 8.

of course if you want to get information on your opponent.(since you have no read) you can call and find that they are pat. they already told you that though [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] .

try and reverse this situation.

are you really that worried that someone is trying to bluff you out of a pot?
why is it you feel that you are being bluffed?
why did you not stand pat yourself?
now why do you think your opponent is bluffing?

muck it and move on, gl.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:59 PM

OK, crabby has a better approach to this. You shouldn't call every time, and you shouldn't fold every time. That being said, I see stand-pat bluffs pretty frequently. It could be a factor of the limits that I play?? (1/2 and 2/4)
Old 07-18-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm guessing if this player was a loose gambooling type you would have said so in your post. Most 'decent' players pat bluff much less than they should. Don't bother with the game theory calling frequency here, you'd do better to simply fold except under special conditions.

Have they been standing pat more often then seems plausible? Could they be raising with very weak pairs that would be in big trouble against a 3-bet? Are they getting frustrated (e.g. getting raised often and forced to fold)? Are they aggressive and tricky?

When I first glanced at your post I figured your opponent was defending in the BB, and you open raised and put in the cap. This is a more interesting situation because your opponent could be fed up with folding the blind and 3-bet as a resteal. When you cap they figure trying a pat bluff is better than folding. Be more inclined to call in a resteal situation like that, especially under the conditions above.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Nice post. I agree. I feel on paradise there aren't many pat bluffers after a cap.