Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 09:57 PM

Default 30-60 PokerStars: choose an exit point

Good 30-60 game. I'm dealt black tens on the button. EP (pretty loose) limps, MP limps, cutoff limps and I raise. SB calls and BB folds. Four of us see this flop:

7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB bets and MP and cutoff call. I raise. Three bets from SB and all call. Turn is:

[7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Bet and two calls (MP folds). River is a blank.

SB bets again and MP calls and I call. Comments?
At what point should have I folded or is my play correct?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: 30-60 PokerStars: choose an exit point

since SB called 2 cold, i find it more likely that he has a hand like 88 than a hand with a 7 in it. he may just be overplaying his pair hoping to push you out of the pot, which is actually a pretty good play. him leading into you on the flop though is a very odd play for a hand like 88 though, as youd figure him to go for the checkraise. however, against a player without reads i dont think you can consider folding. well played.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 PM

Your play is standard up until the river, I think a call there is very marginal unless you think 88 or 99 will play this way. If this were heads up, a river call is in order. With MP calling the river, you can fold and save yourself a BB.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 PM

Getting 12.5-to-1 on the turn, folding before the river is out of the question. You have nearly the odds+implied odds to draw to a two-outer, remotely possible four-outer (against 22). If you can win by having the river checked to you one in 25 in addition to the draw, well, that's enough.

However, the river is of course a whole other beast. Not sure really. This one came across as very borderline to me. Maybe it's a spot for a good fold, although I don't think I would make it then and there.

lars
Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 PM

I cant see folding anywhere in that hand. I dont really think its close, not agaist a bunch of unknowns.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:05 AM

do you have any reads on the players? if not, i can't see a point at which you can "exit"...

nh
-Barron
Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 AM

Is this a spot where we should raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet? If you are ahead you are giving up a ton of money by not raising, but I suppose our 2 outs are worth something.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Default results

This was in just the second orbit, so very few reads were established.

Anyway, SB showed 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to take the pot. Other player mucked. Probably a fold on the flop was best. With another player in the pot, my pot odds are just too thin.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:20 PM

no this is not the spot to raise the turn and fold to a 3bet. heres why:

mike thinks hes behind, not ahead. you say that hes losing value by not raising the turn, but thats only true if he bets the river.

raising only give SB the opportunity to fold a 2 or a smaller pocket pair.

youre giving the opportunity to let the SB bluff you out of the pot when its not necessary.

since there is an MP player in the pot, SB may only call your raise to suck him in, and then lead into you on the river.

if SB bets the river, and MP suddenly wakes up with a raise, you can safely fold.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:02 PM

I agree with your thoughts. In this spot, I'm usually not sure if I'm ahead or behind (particularly concerned about the MP coldcaller on the flop) so I might raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet...let's see if the 7's out there right now or extract bets from lesser pairs. If you raise the turn and both call, but then the river blanks and SB checks, MP bets, you can prob fold. But I don't think the 7 can resist 3-betting the turn here.

Jeff