Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Generic NL overpair situation

I was playing $1000 PL 6 max last night. I raise to $25 preflop with red aces, and only the big blind calls. Flop comes 567 with 2 spades. BB checks, I bet $60, and he minraises me to $120. We both started the hand with right around $1000. What should my plan be?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Generic NL overpair situation

Unless I have a good read, I'd probably just call and see what happens on the turn. Assuming a blank (about half the deck), I may minraise him back on the turn to get a free showdown, or push right there and hope he calls with a pair + draw. Or you could call him down and hope a draw doesn't hit or the board pairs in case he had 2 - tough spot, try to figure out what his min-raises mean - surprisingly, people are generally consistant with them.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Bumped because this is interesting.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Call, raise any non-spade or non-3, 4, 8, 9. If one of those comes it's a fold if he fires a substantial amount.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:40 PM

I guess this hand is pretty boring for NL players, but as a limit player I don't have default ways to handle a lot of situations yet.
I called the flop bet, and when the turn came a 3 he made a substantial bet and I folded.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:56 PM

You were scared he held a 4? What did he minraise you with, 45 46 or 47?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:59 PM

By the way, as for the BBs play, I would have minraised you with a wide range of trash on that flop - given all the cards that could hit later which I could use to steal the pot from you. But *only* if you are solid.

You should start experimenting w/ calling with any two from the blinds against a PFR, and you'll be surprised at how many stolen pots you can pick up. Esp if your image is solid/TAG.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:13 PM

My instinct would be to call and raise a blank-ish turn card...but that might be more of a limit mindset play since a good tricky player can easily peg you for an overpair and put you to a tough decision on the turn either way.

Calldown-ish type hands like these are my nemesis at NL and part of the reason I consider myself sub-marginal at best in this form of poker.

Hopefully some of the NL beasts will weigh in here as I find this hand way more interesting than a lot of what I am reading today.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:41 PM

my instinct is to fold why play a pot here when against most hands that you will play a reasonable pot you are either pretty even money or a dog, any 4,5,6,7,8,9 or spade comes and you really have no idea where you are, this is a spot i really look for a fold, and i dont think thats weak at all.

it just reminds me of small pairs in limit, when you are ahead you never know and when you are ahead its pretty tough to win a big pot.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:28 PM

more scared of two pair or a set I think - the straight is always a possiblilty. Nothing wrong with folding here if you think you're beat.