Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Two pair against a Donktastic player

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises

I felt like the raise on 6th and my play on 7th was chip spewing. I dont know what I accomplished by raising 6th and if there was ever a time to fold to a check raise on 7th was this it?

Results: <font color="white"> Villan showed (9T)J for trip tens. </font>
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Two pair against a Donktastic player

The raise on 6th is fine. Of course it’s odd that he bets into you like that, but I’ve sure seen people do it with two pairs in this spot. What’s also strange is that he didn’t simply re-raise right away; what’s the point?
Since he just called on 6th you value bet the river, of course. And you have to call the raise. People are desperate; they do stupid things. Call.

What the hell does "donktastic" mean?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:57 AM

feel like i have to call here. how well do you know this player? if i ck raise you on the river you are beat but, this guy who knows. feels like trips to me or he has the black aces. did he have the case T? i can't make sense of his hand or play so i have to call the last bet. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 AM

This hand is simple...you raise on 6th because you almost certainly have the best hand. If he believed you had As he wouldn't be calling on 3rd, so when he makes something like Ts up, of course he is going to bet, even if you have a pair of 5s on board. The river is an obvious value bet, and then an obvious crying call with you having to win this only 1 in 12 times to show a profit.

-Carlos
Old 05-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Villain certainly played the hand strangely.

I'm guess he started with KQJ and made a straight on the river.

If he had a T in the hole or pocket 6s, he should have reraised you on 6th street.

Some people will smooth call the raise in order to checkraise on the river and guarantee 4 big bets, but does he really think you'd muck to a reraise on 6th?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Simple hand, exactly per Carlos.

btw, Good chance he made two pair on sixth and filled it on seventh.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:26 PM

I don't see any other way to play it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:32 PM

I think you played it fine, if he draws out on the river it sucks, but you're gonna show a big profit with this in the long run.