Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Default 5 CARD DRAW

I want to master all forms of poker because i find them all fun, but have never played 5 card draw they are little to no books on this game and it isnt played online or in any card room in vegas should i spend the time to learn this game if i can never get a game going lol ?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: 5 CARD DRAW

[ QUOTE ]
I want to master all forms of poker because i find them all fun, but have never played 5 card draw they are little to no books on this game and it isnt played online or in any card room in vegas should i spend the time to learn this game if i can never get a game going lol ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Paradise Poker has draw games, and Mason Malmuth has a book on 5-card draw and lowball. I wouldn't go out of your way to learn it, but if you want to try something different it's an option. Not many people are any good at draw anymore, so when there are games they are often very profitable.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 PM

In addition to the 5-seated limit draw games at Paradise, the game is spread 6-seated pot-limit at 24hPoker. They have tables from €0.25/0.50 to €25/50 and there are always several lower limit cash games going. 24h also has draw SNGs (€5 and €10) and several MTTs per week, with buy-ins from €2 to €50 (many with rebuys).

Also, Planet Poker offers draw, but you'll be lucky to find one micro-limit game going. Planet used to have good draw action and tourneys, but most of the players have abandoned the site, which IMO is dying.

In addition to Mason's book, Mike Caro had a chapter in the original SuperSystem on draw. For some tips on online draw, go to www.cardplayer.com and find Michael Wiesenberg's articles in the archive. Start here:
http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...13&m_id=69

If you get really serious about draw, then you can dig up some old-school poker books like Norman Zadeh's Winning Poker Systems from second-hand online book dealers.

You are right in that no place in Vegas spreads the game. For B&M there might still be a table or two of old-timers in some obscure California room.

There's not a ton of money to be made in online draw and I don't think it's going to explode anytime soon, so it's more a labor of love than a chance at big money that will bring you to draw in 2005.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM

wow, surprising to find someone that has never played draw before.
there are 3 online sites that spread 5-card draw.
1) paradise poker(probably the best place for a beginning player to learn draw) they have limit draw $1/2, $2/4, $3/6 and $5/10.
2) planet poker, they spread a $25 and $50 max buyin pot-limit draw game and fixed limit games up to $8/16; however, the limit games are rarely played. the pot limit games are VERY passive and you would be able to learn the game and not risk much. this site uses the joker for a 53 card deck.
3) 24h poker this site has tables from .25/.50 blinds all the way to 25/50 blinds all pot-limit and all in euros.
(this players on this site are more aggressive and it would be tougher for a beginning player) also the if you are american you would have to convert you money to euros and therefore take and immediate loss on the conversion. the players are mostly european also.

as to books. you might want to do a search on past threads. MM's book 'winning concepts in draw and lowball' might not help you too much(with strategy) but, it will help with fundamental concepts.
the original 'super system' has a draw section. however most material you find will address games with the joker and games where you can pass and back in.
michael wisenberg has written several 5-card draw articles and these are archieved at cardplayer.com

if you can find the ppl to play, gl [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], binion's says that they will spread any game. i have never tried but, would love to play.

if you come from a hold'em background you may find 5-card draw a little slow for your tastes. there are only two betting rounds and therefore only one chance to catch up. however if you are a good natural card player then i would suggest stepping up and taking the challenge to expand you repertoire. as with any form of poker it looks really easy but, contrary to popular opinion, is a difficult game to master. this and lowball are games that are not dead but, on serious life support. everyone that plays would welcome new players and you can find a few threads here at 2+2. the advice is <font color="red"> generally </font> quite good and is truly helpful to the new player. gl.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's not a ton of money to be made in online draw

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on one's perspective. For a LL online draw player such as myself, I don't think you could be more wrong.

I've dabbled in the game for a year or so as a break from HE, but only recently REALLY took Wiesenberg's columns to heart. Since I've done so, I've played nearly 3,000 hands (an admittedly small sample) over the last two weeks and taken down 175 BB, for a rate of nearly 6 BB per 100 hands. Maybe I'll "go back" to HE someday, but for whatever reason, draw suits my temprement much better. It's my Prozac of card games. Simply put, I never tilt when playing it.

Of course, the 1-2 tables at Paradise are growing more and more plentiful. Higher limits (where the bigger money is) are rare, but again, it's all dependent on one's perspective.