Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Starting a cash home game

A bunch of us all play in a monthly NL tourney with a $100 buyin for T1500 chips. At the end of the night the most you're out is the $100. Now, some of us would like to start another NL game but this time playing cash, say NL$100 max buyin, 8 person game. We have been trying to figure out a way to keep it friendly in regards to capping the amount someone can rebuy thus limiting their losses etc.

I wanted to start at NL $25/$50 to test the waters but others felt that given the buyin, people would donk it up.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Starting a cash home game

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch of us all play in a monthly NL tourney with a $100 buyin for T1500 chips. At the end of the night the most you're out is the $100. Now, some of us would like to start another NL game but this time playing cash, say NL$100 max buyin, 8 person game. We have been trying to figure out a way to keep it friendly in regards to capping the amount someone can rebuy thus limiting their losses etc.

I wanted to start at NL $25/$50 to test the waters but others felt that given the buyin, people would donk it up.

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to control the amount of money being wagered, smaller blinds and max buy-ins are the way to go. If everyone feels that $25 or $50 is too small, just go with $100. Give 'em what they want. If people want to rebuy, nobody is forcing them. I don't see why there should be a need to limit the number of rebuys in a cash game.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:54 PM

If everyone is comfortable with $100, then play either $0.50/$1 or $1/$2 NL. Sounds like you want to keep the betting in dollar increments so that pretty much rules out $25 and $50 buy-ins. I would follow the buy-in to blind structure that the online sites use:

$1/$2 blinds -- $200 max buy
$0.50/$1 blinds -- $100 max buy
$0.25/$0.50 blinds -- $ 50 max buy
$0.10/$0.25 blinds -- $ 25 max buy
Old 09-23-2005, 02:37 PM

This may sound funny but since it is a bunch of friends, some guys were worried if someone got stuck for 4 or 5 buy-ins that it might generate some "ill will". My stance was that when you go to a B&M, you take a few buy ins and whatever happens, happens. Their retort was that in a B&M you're playing strangers and who gives a $hit if someone gets stuck. So hence my trying to get a read from people who may have had this situation in the past. To be honest, as a group we are all in our late 30's,professionals etc and if you can't afford loosing 4 or 5 buy-ins, then you shouldn't be playing anyways.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:03 PM

It sounds like the most that they want anyone to lose is $100, so use a $25 max buy-in and everyone can have 4 buy-ins. That way, you will get some "All In" action several times each evening. Just do whatever keeps the game friendly.

In the game I play, there is no max buy-in, every one usually buys in for $20 and we play dealer's choice either 1/2 or 2/4 limit Hold'em or Omaha. The expectation is that no one will get stuck for more than a $100 and that have only happened a handful of times.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the game I play, there is no max buy-in, every one usually buys in for $20 and we play dealer's choice either 1/2 or 2/4 limit Hold'em or Omaha. The expectation is that no one will get stuck for more than a $100 and that have only happened a handful of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 dollar buy in for a 1/2 or 2/4 game.....geez no offence but who's idea is that?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM

LOL. Not mine. I usually buy for $40 (most guys buy $20 in chips and keep there cash on the table. It's loose and 6-handed and really just neighbors getting away from the wives for a couple of hours. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound funny but since it is a bunch of friends, some guys were worried if someone got stuck for 4 or 5 buy-ins that it might generate some "ill will". My stance was that when you go to a B&M, you take a few buy ins and whatever happens, happens. Their retort was that in a B&M you're playing strangers and who gives a $hit if someone gets stuck. So hence my trying to get a read from people who may have had this situation in the past. To be honest, as a group we are all in our late 30's,professionals etc and if you can't afford loosing 4 or 5 buy-ins, then you shouldn't be playing anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound funny at all. I don't care if your friends are all early investors in Microsoft, if somebody loses 4 or 5x what your usual buy in is in a home game, you're probably gonna have a very pissy fellow on your hand.

It doesn't make a lot of sense from the point of view of most serious players, but I doubt your friends are particurally serious, and since they're your friends, it's almost certainly a good idea to keep the game at a stake where everybody has a fun time even when they lose.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Hopefully these folks are mature enough to manage their own money. The average age at my game is pretty low (20-22), yet people still have the common sense not to gamble with more than they are comfortable with. If these players are in their 30s and have good jobs, hopefully they also have the same common sense.