Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Being The Table Bully?

I play mostly $20+$2, and move up to $30+3 every once in a while for a couple games when I can afford to do so. I am a pretty tight player, which is how most people you meet would advocate you play sit n gos. When I have a big stack, I sometimes do well bullying people with big raises, etc, and I do get caught with my pants down sometimes just like every other bully...
My questions basically are
A) How loose do you think I should be willing to call/ raise/bluff to get a big chiplead? Is this really a viable strategy at the beginning of a sit n go when there are a few crazy people who will call/ raise w practically anything?
For example, if someone raises 100 or 200, should i push/ re raise them to try to get them to drop their hand which is probably better than mine, in hopes that they will fold most of the time, and I will get some chips to bully with?
Should I be willing to bet hard when the flop misses me? Should I limp in with any two cards? Should I be willing to make bad calls against shortstacks? Should I be willing to make bad calls to attempt to put people on tilt? Like if I'm 1 card away from a flush draw, should i pay to see the river even if i don't exactly have odds to do so?

B) Is there any good way to practice this strategy without much money involved? It sucks losing 20+ or 30+ bucks when I just wanna mess around and try something new, but if I went to a lower limit my raises would get even less respect and such.

I'm sure this has been talked about before so If anyone could link me to an article or thread about "how to bully" or any other related topic it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-Zach
Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Being The Table Bully?

[ QUOTE ]
A) How loose do you think I should be willing to call/ raise/bluff to get a big chiplead? Is this really a viable strategy at the beginning of a sit n go when there are a few crazy people who will call/ raise w practically anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad SNG strategy. Remember how you make money on SNG's as oppossed to big MTT's. You make cash by getting in the money since the top 30% are paid. There's not nearly as much value to 'building a stack' in a SNG. Play good solid poker, and make 'moves' later in the tournament. Even then, your 'moves' should be backed by good solid theory, logic, and reads. Don't get carried away.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 PM

Does everyone pretty much have the same opinion as the above poster? Any different views?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:43 PM

No, Bigwig's right on. When you get a big stack early in an SNG, it's a bonus because some dope doubled you up when you had a monster. If you go looking for a big stack early, you usually won't find it. Instead, you will find yourself with a short to medium stack and little to no fold equity when the blinds start getting high, and you will begin to pile up 4th, 5th and 6th place finishes.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, if someone raises 100 or 200, should i push/ re raise them to try to get them to drop their hand which is probably better than mine, in hopes that they will fold most of the time, and I will get some chips to bully with?

[/ QUOTE ]
If they will fold, yes. The problem is this. There are only two reasons you see a raise to 100-200 in the early rounds. Either the raiser is a total moron, in which case he'll call you down no matter what, so you better have the goods to win a showdown, or the raiser is a decent player trying to get value out of a premium hand from people who will call or raise with a worse hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be willing to bet hard when the flop misses me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but see above.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I limp in with any two cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be willing to make bad calls against shortstacks?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be willing to make bad calls to attempt to put people on tilt? Like if I'm 1 card away from a flush draw, should i pay to see the river even if i don't exactly have odds to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would giving away chips put people on tilt?