Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Raise for a free showdown again

Villain is not to well known, but a bit too loose.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 12-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Raise for a free showdown again

nonono. Raise the flop to drive out the blinds. As you played it bet the river for value.

-Mike

Edit: the queen makes the river bet closer actually. A check is probably ok but I definately bet any non-qka river.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 AM

We aren't driving out the blinds here.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM

I would just call the turn because he's not folding a better hand. I'm calling the river UI and I'm betting if checked to.
I don't necessarily see how this extracts much more value, and I know it doesn't fold a better hand.

Rob
Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call the turn because he's not folding a better hand. I'm calling the river UI and I'm betting if checked to.
I don't necessarily see how this extracts much more value, and I know it doesn't fold a better hand.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

And I doubt it folds AK either.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I would raise the flop. I don't like the turn raise b/c once u're heads up and in position, i think u can just call or bet river if checked to. Also, a big diamond (AdK) will sometimes three bet you here. The pot is big enough that even AK/ AQ no diamonds will call this turn raise i would think so u have little to no fold equity. You'll likely get a river bet out of AK anyway, so i prefer just calling turn and calling river or betting.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM

I would want at least some fold equity to go for the free showdown play and here I think you probably have none. Additionally, you haver to fold (IMO) to a three-bet in which case you have put in the same two BBs and lost your chance to spike your 1-2 outs on the river. Finally, if you do hit the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the river, can you safely bet for value when checked to given the fourflush on the board. I would like the play a lot more if you were holding the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] instead of the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Against certain players you can fold this on the turn. If villlain is not one of those, then I think I would just call this down.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:27 PM

In this case, I wouldn't raise for a free showdown. There are too many hands that already have you beat (any T, and any flush). It's best to raise for a free showdown when you're hand as a decent chance of being ahead, a decent chance to improve, AND your improvement won't give the opponent a better hand.

For example, if the turn didn't turn the flush and you had Ad8s, this would be a raise for free showdown candidate. You've got 5 outs to 2-pair/trips, though 2 are tainted.

I generally don't raise for free showdowns with pocket because they have so little chance to improve. And in this case in particular, even if you did improve 1 card puts a 4-flush on the board and either card puts a 3-straight.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM

not great. You just aren't ahead often enough for it to be worthwhile. I think sacrificing your set outs is bad. You'll get 3-bet quite a lot I think. Some tiny chance of being 3-bet by a worse hand.

Krishan
Old 12-09-2005, 03:52 PM

like others have said, im not a fan. The pot is way to big he wont ever fold anything youd like him to fold. Use position to your advantage here, you get to control how many bets go in the pot before showdown, just call and bet the river if checked to.