Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Deep in a Party $109, blind defense vs big stack?

We are down to 12 out of 139.

Villian here seems decent. He has opened a decent amount of pots since we got down to the last two tables. He's not going crazy or lagging it up completely but he's stealing probably 1.5-2x an orbit.

BB is chip leader and is pretty passive, especially preflop but postflop will only bet with something good.

My image is probably pretty taggish. The only hand I have showed down was KK in a 3-way all in.

Call, push, or fold? I'm thinking folding's not an option.

BTW the payouts are 1st - 3.6k, 3rd - 1.5k, 5th - $950, and not much after that.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t4192)
MP (t7748)
CO (t25321)
Button (t9674)
Hero (t13812)
BB (t29192)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Folded to CO, CO raises to t2000, Button folds, Hero?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Deep in a Party $109, blind defense vs big stack?

since BB is passive, he'll probably call or fold; BB both have you double covered; your m is around 13; if you call, check-fold you're still above 10M, but you'll be out of position post-flop. CO stealing 1.5-2x an orbit is pretty high.

I think you can push here and hope that your image buys you the 3k pot and ups your M to 16, or that if you get called, you've got two overs or the better ace; but you could also call and see the flop- check fold anything other than two spades or an ace (or T if it's top card), if you've got your ace, your spades or your TPTK, check-raise all-in.

I think I like the first option better- capitalize on your image and get your M up.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 AM

I would be tempted to raise all in, it negates me being out of position on the flop. It seems quite likely this guy is raising with an average hand because of his position. You could put in a standard raise to say 6000, but that commits you to calling a push anyway so no point.
If your move goes to plan, the fact that he is two to your right affords yourself some protection from him stealing later if he knows you're prepared to go over the top. You may then have an easier ride when you are in the blinds.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 AM

6-handed... gotta push I think. You won't get called by a worse hand, but nevertheless it probably +EV. If you were BB and closing the action, I could see maybe just calling. Being in the SB, there is a decent amount to be won by pushing (antes would make it better).
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM

i would deffo push with this hand unless i knew the raiser to be either very tight,or very loose(would not fold an A with any kicker above 9 for half his stack).
considering the relative stack sizes,he should not take a gamble with you seen as if he looses he you really hurt him.
judging by the read you have on the BB(very passive PF) and also the fact that villen is a decent player ,he is just trying to steal and is not looking for an all in cofrontation.
go all in,you may end up being against AA-JJ or AK-AQs but chances are he is ust trying to steal and fold to your all in.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

I pushed here, and villian thought for awhile before finally calling w/ AJs. And I was out in 12th. It's always hard to know if I'm pulling the right move when I end up getting all in vs a dominating hand. I guess it's close. I wonder if ATs is really the hand to be pushing here, because it's dominated by every hand he calls with. I figured his calling range would be 99+, AK, maybe AQ. So I think a hand like 76s is even better to push here; because even though ATs is better against his opening range than 76s is, 76s will perform better against his calling range.

Honestly I didn't expect him to call w/ AJs. I hadn't restolen any pots during the 3 or 4 orbits I'd been with him and only shown the goods. I also was putting my good stack on the line against someone who could bust me on the final table bubble. I think I'm repping (and usually having) and big pair or AK here.

Of course, I'm probably giving a Party player too much credit for noticing what I've been doing and the table dynamics. I can't expect most of them to think beyond "omfg I have big suited ace."
Old 12-08-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
76s will perform better against his calling range.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it won't.

Why do so many people think that suited connectors do so wonderful against calling ranges. ATs is definitely a better hand to do this with.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Don't be results-oriented. This is a clear push against a blind-stealer. The WORST thing to do is call off close to 1/6 your stack here, in most cases you are ahead of his range. The other reason to push is to keep him off you. Blind stealers (myself included) like to steal from people that don't defend their blinds. You need to stick up for yourself at times.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:26 PM

What do you guys think about a stop and go in spots like this.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM

For a stop and go, would you just call his bet and then bet any flop? (Unless you hit a monster and slowplay it.)