Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 01:38 PM

Default QQ -- I don\'t know what to think of my set

Villain is 28/19/2.3 after 240 hands, but he seemed more LAG to me at the time than his numbers indicate. I wasn't entirely sure how to interpret his play, though, since he was involved in numerous encounters with a 71/32/1.5 guy to his right. Actually, for context, here's one of those encounters. (It might not have been as tame if I hadn't been involved, though.):

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I planned to checkraise, but then MP1 interfered.</font>

Turn: (4.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I thought I was losing to MP1 but wasn't sure.</font>

River: (7.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

<font color="#0000FF">MP3's raise made my river decision easy, at least.</font>

Final Pot: 11.70 BB

Results:
MP1 has Jc 7s (one pair, jacks).
MP3 has As 2h (high card, ace).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11.70 BB. </font>

Not exactly my proudest moment.

Anyway, I had the misfortune of being card dead in my BB, so I folded to a lot of (what seemed to be) Villain's auto-steals when the action was folded to him in MP3.

During our previous encounter, though, he raised with Q8, I defended with Q8s, and we capped the flop together when we both flopped top pair with our 8's, after which Villain called me down on the turn and river. That seemed fairly standard.

All right. On to the main hand:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I generally cap here, but this time I decided to wait and pop the turn.</font>

Turn: (6.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets . . .</font>

This card made me hesitate. What should be my plan now?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: QQ -- I don\'t know what to think of my set

I would have reraised and see where my set stands.

fold it if he keep showing agression.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:21 PM

I wouldve capped the flop, but I'm guessing you called so you could raise the turn. As weak as it sounds, I might just call down from here unless of course the board pairs. A lot of his raising hands include jacks I would think and he isnt likely to have a queen since you have two. I wouldnt mind putting in one more raise though, since he wont fold much of anything against you and might even 3bet with a worse hand because of your history.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:28 PM

Well first, don't freakin' fold. Given his utg raise, it's probably not tremendously likely he the qj, kj for the straight. AJ and JJ seem like really the only hands you could be losing to. He could just as easily have AQ, KQ, KK or AA or TT. I think you need to put another raise into this pot.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 PM

Reraised where? If you're talking about the turn, that would only be a "raise." It's a lot better when people don't misuse terms. (This one seems to happen a lot for some reason)
Old 11-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Even if he does have a jack, you have odds to draw to your house. So, no, don't fold.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 PM

Flop play is good. He could have been pumping QJ/TJ, but I would throw in plenty other hands as well, including AQ/KQ/QT/TT/88....

So I like a raise here and call down if 3-bet
Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 PM

sounds like he could have lots of hands here : from the dreaded aj,kj,qj,jj,jt,j9,j8 ~ 80 hands+ some jx ~20= ~100
to he ones you beat: ak,aq,at,a9,a8,aa,kk,kq,kt,k9,k8,tt,88,some lower pairs and lots of flush semi bluffs more - at least 120 hands, probably 150+.
raising seems like having value here (not sure i would've done it in battle though, too weak probably). folding not an option right? (10 outs if behind), calling gives him a cheap shot if he has a flush draw.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have reraised and see where my set stands.

fold it if he keep showing agression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding not an option right? (10 outs if behind)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, folding the turn is not an option.

What I'm wondering is whether I should raise or not.