Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 AM

Default 23K 1/2 hands- still a breakeven rock! Leaks?

I was a significant .25/.50 and .5/1 winner, but I've switched to 1/2(Stars and Crypto) primarily for bonus whoring. Unforunately, I'm just making the bonuses these days. And by these days, I mean almost the entire time I've spent at 1/2.

Here are my stats:
Hands: 23595
VP$P: 12.39
PFR: 6.55
BB/100: -(0.41)
I know, too tight, too passive. Over the past month or so I've attempted to solve this leak by pushing those to 14/7.5, with -(4.85) BB/100 results. 4K hands, but ugh. Bad run, maybe, but is 14/7.5 still weak passive? Probably. My problem with further LAGing is I fondly remember my 11/6 days as days of delicious profit. Small profit, but no 40 BB downswings.

I know I started being such a rock because I was a bit scared money stepping up to $1/$2 at the Cryptos(lowest level offered at the time), and I rationalized it to myself that I was willing to give up BB/100 in exchange for decreased variance when the bonuses were so good(8 BB/100 hands). In retrospect, that only makes sense for the first few months, once my bankroll got healthy there's no reason to give up money if variance can't run me broke.

Aggression:
Preflop 0.82
Flop: 3.37
Turn: 3.53
River: 2.5

Here I'm not sure what the "right" numbers are.
One theory, which I hope isn't true: My days of 11 VP$P taught me horrible lessons about postflop play, and I'm pushing too hard with less premium hands. Do these numbers support that? Basically, I theorize that I need to become more loose aggressive preflop but slow down a bit postflop. I rarely check/call people down, prefering to stupidly 3-bet sets and fold to people I have outkicked.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: 23K 1/2 hands- still a breakeven rock! Leaks?

you'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to play 12.4/6.5

seriously go back to .5/1 and learn how to play the 8% of hands you are folding

as for postflop I suspect you fold too much, and your af are abnormally high as a result
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 AM

Move back down to .50/1 or even .25/.50. You have to work yourself to playing and raising more hands.

SOrry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I think it's in your best interest to move down and practice playing a more Tight/Aggresive style.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 AM

buy Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed miller and read it a bunch of times, because you already know you are a ROCK, so this is the only thing I can think of that will fix that.

If you have already read this book, then I am confused to as why you play this way.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 AM

3betting sets is a mistake virtually never.

Folding to much is really bad. You look exactly like the kind of player I'd want sitting directly behind me. If you were playing 6max, I would actively hunt you down and sit in front of you at every opportunity I got.

Seriously, dude. As I've heard them say around these parts, you're tighter than a nun's nasty. Loosen up. Add some hands. Limp 22 UTG. Hell, you can even play fit-or-fold poker with that. It's easy. After that, add blind steals from the button with A2o. When you're done that, value raise 55 on the button when facing 7 limpers preflop.

Next, look at the threads here. Read all of them. Without looking at the other responses, identify the threads in which you'd fold somewhere, and then respond and say you'd fold. You will very quickly have people telling you where you shouldn't fold. When you're at the table, and a similar situation comes up, don't fold then.

Your aggression stats are way too high because you fold instead of calling way, way too much. Then, when you're in a hand, you are sitting on the nuts and sticking it to the other dudes as best you can. Unfortunately, you can't stick it to them all that well because they know you have the nuts when you raise, and you're passing up on so many marginal situations that it can't compoensate for the blinds.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 AM

You aren't very good postflop (like you are really bad). I was a winning player at 5/10 with 11/5 numbers and I wasn't very good postflop (though I was super tricky). You really need to work on the postflop aspect of your game.

Brad
Old 06-28-2005, 02:32 AM

I meant 3-betting up against a set(with TPTK). Whining about bad luck is the eternal crutch of the suboptimal player.

About the postflop aggression stats, what should my numbers look like? Should the river be that much lower?

Finally, the new 14/7.5 version of me is losing while the 11/6 version of me won. Is that just a bad run or is there a common leak that increasing VP$P and PFR can cause in a rock? I'd love to be unlucky while improving, but hoping isn't making me any money.

The 14/7.5 me(and there really was an ephiphany about grinding out bonus vs. playing poker around a month ago) has the following aggression factors:
3.03/3.57/1.82. Same general pattern if a bit lower overall.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 AM

Maybe this link may help u
http://www.bet-the-pot.com/poker-tra...ne-page31.html
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About the postflop aggression stats, what should my numbers look like? Should the river be that much lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

A "good" AF is highest on the flop and lowest on the river. That being said, most will say that an AF of 3+ on any street is probably a bit too high (especially if you have AF of 3+ on two or more streets).

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, the new 14/7.5 version of me is losing while the 11/6 version of me won. Is that just a bad run or is there a common leak that increasing VP$P and PFR can cause in a rock? I'd love to be unlucky while improving, but hoping isn't making me any money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a bad run, or it could be that in an attempt to loosen up you're picking some bad hands at bad times to push. Pick some hands from that period and post them for us to see. As someone else suggested, read over hands and make posts saying you would have folded a particular situation. If you were wrong, it will be explained to you.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:09 AM

What is your Went to Showdown and your Won at Showdown?