Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Advice on a set

I've been running really bad on Empire SnG's lately. AKs vs. AKs, a loser. AA vs. AQ, a loser. AA vs. JJ, loser. AK vs. AQ, TPTK queen on river for a loss, etc. etc.

So I know it's been effecting my decisions on some plays and to be honest have made some marginal mistakes that cost me some money finishes.

So the hand in question is I'm in the BB with 77, BB is T200 and I have just shy of a thousand after posting. There are five players left and UTG & UTG1 call. Flop comes K79 two clubs and the 7 is one of them. I check, UTG goes all-in with T400+, UTG1 goes all-in with T1100+. I call with my remaining chips. To be honest there was no doubt in my mind that I was beat, I had a friend who was watching me play and was so giddy saying push, push. I actually turned to him and said "I'm beat". I chalked this up to the horrible run of loses and said this is an easy push every time.

I'm wondering if anybody would be able to lay this down? All the logic in my brain says easy push, but my body or "intuition" was saying fold.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Advice on a set

Cross post this in the psych forum. You're on tilt. Did you really think you were up against KK and 99 or did you "know" the flush draw would hit (2-1 on a 4 flush, you're getting better than that on a push/call, right)? Monsters under the crib. Snap out of it.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:01 PM

A couple of things:

With a t600 pot, a stack of t1000, and a pocket pair of sevens preflop, you should be pushing absent a read that your opponent is slowplaying a monster. You've got a significant chance to take it down right there, but only about a 7:1 shot at the set. The EV of pushing is MUCH higher.

Also, what on earth are you afraid of on the flop? Don't you dare say "flush draw." A set is a fire-breathing monster in this case. Push in and collect your money.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:10 PM

Warning bluntness ahead. If you aren't willing to put all your chips in here you should not be playing. There are very few places where folding a flopped set in a SnG are correct.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:51 PM

Why would you think your beat here? The other two probably have at best two pair. There is no reason to suspect they have KK or 99, as there was no preflop action. If they went all-in with a flush draw, than your still way ahead. Don't forget you could also pick up the boat on the next two cards. If they draw out on you than so be it, but I think you definitely have the best of it on the flop. So how did the hand play out?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:30 PM

In the end I knew that it was correct call, which I did do. UTG had K9, UTG1 had 99. Just another to add to the list. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]