Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Advice From Current Pros- Quit a $100K Job? (long)

One thing I have not seen mentioned. You could try this for 12 weeks, and have your job guaranteed. As a new dad, you are entitled to take upto 12 weeks unpaid leave under the family and medical leave act in order to take care of your newborn. Your company is required to rehire you at the same position after the leave. They must also continue to provide health insurance.

Talk to your HR person to get more details.

Paul
Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Advice From Current Pros- Quit a $100K Job? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have not seen mentioned. You could try this for 12 weeks, and have your job guaranteed. As a new dad, you are entitled to take upto 12 weeks unpaid leave under the family and medical leave act in order to take care of your newborn. Your company is required to rehire you at the same position after the leave. They must also continue to provide health insurance.

Talk to your HR person to get more details.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point. Personally, if you make that much money already and have those kind of savings, I'd say you can afford to take a small risk. Play for a living for 12 weeks under FMLA. When it winds down, consider your thoughts and make a decision from there.

I've been playing for a living for a little while now and yes it can be hard at times. Then again there are a lot harder things. You have a good job and if status is important to you, realize that poker won't help. On the other hand if the freedom you will have outweighs the benefits of your current job then go for it. For me personally, freedom is very important, but I have never had a job like the one you have now.

Like you, my wife just had a baby but I can't say it has affected things negatively at all since we get health Insurance through her job. Good luck to you.