Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Tourney v. Cash Games, Q for Paul, Barry, Greg, Annie, et. al.

Hi All,

Paul wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at cash games and I'm good at tournaments, but even in my moments of maximum self-delusion I can't convince myself that tournaments require more skill than cash games.

In a sense there are more factors that go into decisions during tournaments, but there are also many more automatic or nearly automatic decisions in tournaments than there are in cash games. It's a little bit like comparing holdem to omaha/8. In a sense omaha/8 gives you more to think about, but it's also vastly more straightforward to play well than holdem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a previous thread (the dreaded Scrabble debate), Paul wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
In competitive scrabble most people don't even know the meaning of most of the words they use. It's too hard to learn all the definitions as well (and knowing them provides almost no value in the context of the game) so we just learn the legal letter combinations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering -- and Paul, this is not an accusation or an invitation to a flame war -- whether the latter might offer some clue as to the differing skill sets for tournament vs. cash game poker?

As Paul and others have noted, there are many situations in tournament poker where the decisions are automatic, and having a "word list" of such situations is important to tournament play. People who excel at memorizing such lists will have an edge in tournament play over those who don't.

Conversely, (deep money) cash games might perhaps be more contextual. There are fewer automatic decisions, and the overall context has a greater impact on the best way to play a given hand in a given situation. Here, it's not so important to have a "word list" of correct plays as to see how the various elements of a situation interact, analogous to mastering meanings and usage rather than legal letter combinations.

This is not to say that Paul -- or any else with the requisite talent -- couldn't learn to be a top-notch cash game player. I'm sure he could, and will, if he wants to and attacks it with the same dedication he's shown in other areas of his life. I'm simply suggesting it might be one reason that certain kinds of players tend to do better in tournament play, long before they master cash game play.

Thoughts?

Cris
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Tourney v. Cash Games, Q for Paul, Barry, Greg, Annie, et. al.

could you repeat the question...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:14 PM

One day he says he's one of the top ten poker (no limit hold'em?) players in the world, the next day he says he's just a good poker player and a crap cash game player. Did he reach his peak a few days ago and he's gotten so bad at poker the last few days that he's just an average poker player now?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Can't you exchange e-mail adresses, telephone numbers, messenger adress, use skype, anything where you can spit venom at eachother faces?
Just quit bothering the rest of us with your annoying quarrels. And I mean both of you [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

This is a poker forum. It's enough that we have to read about all the fishy theories with the authoritative tone; that's part of the game I guess, but the personal harassement, is that necessary?

Get a life!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:24 PM

William,

If you read venom there, I think you misread my post. It was a serious question having to do with why some players seem to do better at tournaments early in their poker careers while others seem to do better at cash games.

Cris
Old 10-04-2004, 04:25 PM

Are you kidding? This has been gold.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 PM

I actually thought it was a well thought out question, and far from the flame war I expected when I first opened the thread. Not sure where you're reading venom into it.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:49 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

What can I say? If your and Paul's publicum are satisfied with the circus this forum has turned into, then I will leave you to your hobby and make a discrete but amazed exit.
I just think you are both in the wrong forum. I hear RGP welcomes this kind of posts, but apparently, we have been invaded by RGP's and are not at home anymore...
Old 10-04-2004, 05:01 PM

Why all the hostility?

IMHO, I believe tighter players do far better in tournaments than they could ever hope for in cash games. I've been playing for a living for about a year now, and I have trouble switching back and forth between tourneys, and cash games. I often find myself playing too aggressive for a tournament after coming off a cash game session.
I hope my comments weren't too fishy, or authoritative for any of you. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What can I say? If your and Paul's publicum are satisfied with the circus this forum has turned into, then I will leave you to your hobby and make a discrete but amazed exit.
I just think you are both in the wrong forum. I hear RGP welcomes this kind of posts, but apparently, we have been invaded by RGP's and are not at home anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]

The WPT forum has always been like this.

This particular question should be in the Theory forum, though.