Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: I\'m running good and I STILL have questions...

i never understood the logic in raising on 4th street. you are giving the villain a chance to fold his 4/5 with your raise and may even face a 3bet bluff or a call and river value bet. calling down seems much stronger to me since you have nothing to gain by raising the turn as a queen wont fold.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i never understood the logic in raising on 4th street. you are giving the villain a chance to fold his 4/5 with your raise and may even face a 3bet bluff or a call and river value bet. calling down seems much stronger to me since you have nothing to gain by raising the turn as a queen wont fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are defintely some good things that could come out of raising the turn.

-you charge him two bets when he has some sort of draw that he might not fire again with on the river.

-he will fold some hands that have 6 outs, or will at least have to call another 30 if he wants to try to get there.

-even though its unlikely he could fold a better hand, something like 77-1010.

Im not saying raising is always better, but in some spots like this I think it might be. It is much more useful with players left to act behind you though.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 PM

calldown and hope he shows you a pair of 4s 5s or a busted draw
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure the runner runner straight draw is worth about 1 1/2 outs. So you have 3 1/2 outs which means you need about 12-1 pot odds to call. You're getting 9-1 so based on outs it's a fold. But you are ahead maybe a 40% of the time so it seems like an easy call to me. You can probably call if you are ahead only 25% of the time and still show a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 9:1 immediately and you need 12:1 to continue if you're behind. With implied odds, you'll certainly make another three small bets if you hit your runner runner or set. So yeah, if you're behind, you have the odds to call. If you're ahead, of course you need to call (or 3-bet).

So it seems that folding is not an option.