Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: I\'m running good and I STILL have questions...

Assuming the boarad pairs the four or five and the villian checks. Do you bet the turn or just check behind and get to showdown?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM

FOLD.....
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the boarad pairs the four or five and the villian checks. Do you bet the turn or just check behind and get to showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I like giving a freebie here as our hand is vulnerable to a slew of overs, unless villain is a tricky SOB and will c/r on air here.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM

He either has you beat or he doesn't [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd muck most of the time because he can have the Q, a better pair than you or a draw which hits and you don't know what it is.

Occasionally I'm gonna want to look him up and with position, see his cards to know if he's "tricky" with his flop check-raises.....
Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 PM

You are getting 9:1 here, to hit a 22:1 draw to two pair. To justify drawing to your set, you need to somehow collect 6 big bets later in the hand. Not likely. If he's TAG, you are probably behind here. It's no big loss to fold here.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 PM

I will threebet and bet the turn against a LAG. But against a "solid" (ie: not too tricky) tag, Im folding.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will threebet and bet the turn against a LAG. But against a "solid" (ie: not too tricky) tag, Im folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't most TAGs capable of pulling a bluff here?

In fact I think this is a great board for a check-raise bluff. villian is representing a king, and if he doesn't have one or have a pair of kings beat, its hard for Hero to continue.

Remember, TAG doesn't mean predictiable, it implys he plays well.

-Scott
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 PM

I think you mean a Q, but I agree. I do this a fair amount. 3-way, if the SB pitches you are getting 7:2 on your opponent folding, and if he doesn't make loose calls at all, he's going to pitch a lot of Ax hands, low pairs, and things like JT. Against the right opponents, this is probably a profitable play, although I am not sure how often other TAGs pull this.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM

I figure the runner runner straight draw is worth about 1 1/2 outs. So you have 3 1/2 outs which means you need about 12-1 pot odds to call. You're getting 9-1 so based on outs it's a fold. But you are ahead maybe a 40% of the time so it seems like an easy call to me. You can probably call if you are ahead only 25% of the time and still show a profit.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call down unless opponent is sufficiently predictable to justify raising and folding to a 3bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right. Calling the flop and folding to a turn bet would be a huge mistake. The blinds really have no reason to believe you have any sort of hand after open raising the button, and once the SB folds its a lot easier for the BB to push some weaker hands agaist you. Both good and bad players will check raise that flop with a ton of hands that you beat. I think Ike had it right, if you are very confident he would never three bet the turn with a worse hand, then raise on 4th. If you arnt sure then call down and bet when checked to.