Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Default 1/2 100NL hands at TS semi-deep stacked

Two hands against the same villan, he had a stack of 600ish, was a winning player for this game, probably limps a little too much and makes raises from 4-8 etc. with hands like suited connectors, low PPs etc.

First hand in question I have 250ish and am dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG (villain) raises to 15, MP (calling station) calls. I call. Blinds fold. His bigger raise here meant he probably had a hand more in the range of AA-99 or AK AQ KQ AJ i think. Im looking for a set.

Pot = 48

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG (villain) bets 15. MP folds. Hero calls?

I figured his weak bet meant overcards, but didnt want to put in a raise just yet. I figured with position I could take a turn.

Pot = 78.

Turn comes Qh.

Villain checks. Hero bets 50...

Hand 2. This hand comes about twenty minutes later against same villain.

Hero is UTG +1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and a stack of 300ish.

Hero open limps. CO limps, button limps, SB completes, Villain (BB) raises to 12. Again, same hand range as earlier i think AA-99 or AK AQ KQ AJ. He still has me covered. He raises to 12. I call, everyone else folds.

Pot -30.

Flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks. Hero checks. He knows Im aggressive and would almost always bet a flush draw here, so I want to disguise my hand a little bit.

Turn comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

pot is still 30.

Villain checks, Hero bets 20. Villain raises to 55. Hero calls.

I realize Im vulnerable against A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but figure I can make more money in position, hense me just callng.

Pot = 140.

River comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets 50. Hero just calls.

Thoughts on both hands please. Ty in advance.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: 1/2 100NL hands at TS semi-deep stacked

naphin -

In the first hand you didnt really specify if his small (1/3rd pot) bet on the flop ment anything, just that the size of his raise preflop gave away his holdings. You played for set value, and since you wont ever make them lay down top pair or the like, you're only winning this hand if he has the 2nd best hand anyway.

Given you called the flop and he checked the turn, I like the bet, although I'd probably go closer to pot. You do not want to let him sneak in there with AK or AT (only legit hands you're beating now!) and apply more pressure to TT or 99 who now face 2 overs plus likeliehood of having to call the rest on the river.

Hand 2 I'd probably open raise, you're called in a live game by every dominated king and queen and random suited hands generally dont fold. Given someone raised the limps, and you put him on a pretty tight range, there's nothing wrong with folding.

On the flop I'm betting there 100% of the time, that's one of the flops you're looking for, you need to score an EV victory (folding out all the ace high hands that are currently beating you) in order to salvage taking the worst of it preflop.

Given you checked behind, (I'd like that better with the nut flush draw, as with say A4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] HE could have KQ or so where he'll go broke...) I'd consider potting the turn as it's a vulnerable flush; he's checked twice, he either has NOTHING or a hand that picked up a draw (like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X) or a "slowplayed" TT or so, so you need to make your value here. Given he checkraised, sorta out of left field, I'd make it 125 total so I could put the rest in on the river.

I dont understand the smooth call, unless you put him on AJ or AT of diamonds specifically.

The river was one of those bad cards, to the extent that raising the turn would've been better. Now you're stuck in that he PROBABLY doesnt have a 7 or 6, so your hand is MOST likely good, but a raise MOST likely wont be called by a worse hand. So I guess smooth call is ok.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: 1/2 100NL hands at TS semi-deep stacked

Hand 1: I can understand the flop call if you put him on AK/Q, however check behind on the turn since you are only ahead of AK at this point.

Hand 2: I raise UTG with KQs but if I put somebody's range on AA-JJ and AK/Q I am not getting involved in a pot with KQ. I love money though.