Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: My pocket KKs are losing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've played over 3000 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

You get each pocket pair once every 221 hands, so this means you've had KK roughly 13 times, and of those approx. 13 times, you remember the painful losses. You probably don't remember the wins. Selective memory.

Also, the long run is a really, really long time. 3000 hands is nothing. I played 3000 hands over the weekend.

Anyway, AA, KK, and QQ are just too powerful. No other hands will win more often. Period. It's impossible to be a long-term loser with them, unless you fold the flop every single time. AA and KK are where most of your money comes from.

Here are my results over 220K hands, at various limits (mostly 2/4):

Oh, BTW, get PokerTracker!

-- Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

limping/calling jacks?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 PM

Next time you get KK type "I HAVE KK" when you raise.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And everyone with Ax will call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (which, needless to say is a good thing)
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And everyone with Ax will call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (which, needless to say is a good thing)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I happen to have done the math on this and humbly suggest that anyone calling with Ax is probably costing you money, provided you do not plan to check and fold an ace high flop.

good luck.
Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure? I happen to have done the math on this and humbly suggest that anyone calling with Ax is probably costing you money, provided you do not plan to check and fold an ace high flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could post your math in a separate thread. If you are proposing that Ax has an advantage over KK, then I'm going to disagree with you.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could post your math in a separate thread. If you are proposing that Ax has an advantage over KK, then I'm going to disagree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess in a HU situation, if they will check/fold if they miss, and we pay them off all the time they hit, they might make money when we have KK. But they will lose a lot of money when we have AK, AQ etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Raising?

Are you slow playing KK because it is such a good hand that you want other people to stick around? Then stop! KK has better chance of winning whne you are aggressive. Raise and Reraise no matter what preflop.

Always bet/raise an Ace high flop with three or less opponents. If opponents get aggressive back to you, then you can fold. But raising preflop then shutting down to an ace screams that you don't have one, and good and bad players will stab at you. You wont know where you stand. If the board is worse, such as all one suit or consecutive, then you ahouls still bet, but again, if someone gets aggressive you may not havet he best hand anymore.

Give us more info so we can see how you are playing. If you are losing with KK and it is not simple statistical variance, then it should be easy for one of these posters to figure it out. How are you doing with AA, QQ?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Raising?

[ QUOTE ]
Always bet/raise an Ace high flop with three or less opponents. If opponents get aggressive back to you, then you can fold. But raising preflop then shutting down to an ace screams that you don't have one, and good and bad players will stab at you. You wont know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be a good thing to induce bluffs? Why would you want to bet and raise on a flop where you are either way ahead or way behind, when you can check and pick off bluffs without risking being outplayed?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 AM

I'm rooting for playing KK more basically when a player is systematically below expectation. I wanted to keep my advice simple, but you're right.

Let's get the Kings winning again first and figure out where the problem is, then let's get fancier and more optimal. (Assuming there is a problem and not random bad luck)
Old 10-17-2005, 03:48 AM

<i>"Always bet/raise an Ace high flop with three or less opponents. "</i>

I rescind the "/raise" part. That is tricky; it requires knowledge of your opponents. If there are are three opponents and the first one bets the ace high flop, for example, folding is best if you don't have evidence to suspect the better is often F.O.S.