Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Limping in with big PP in pstars deep stack tourneys

I've seen alot of this and I'm wondering if there's a purpose to it or if the players are just donks/weak tight?

The two hands that busted me out of a recent tourney, two different players limped in with QQ and KK respectively.

Obviously when the flop came these two hands weren't in the range I put them on and I paid for it.

In these particular cases the trap worked, but most of what I've read says it's a very big mistake to let people see a cheap flop with a big PP.

Any insight you have into this will be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Limping in with big PP in pstars deep stack tourneys

no offense but it is really pointless without levels and stacks sizes and positions known.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no offense but it is really pointless without levels and stacks sizes and positions known.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry.
First hand was at the 1st level, stack sizes all within t1000 of the original t5000.
Villian was in the SB and limped with QQ after 5 other limpers entered the pot. I had AQs in the BB.

My 2nd hand was still at the 1st level, I had t2600 and the rest of the table was still +/- t1000 of the starting size of t5000 (I had been moved to a different table after the 1st hand)
Villian limped with KK in EP and 4 other limpers came in. I had 66 on the button.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 AM

1st hand I think his limp is great, he is out of position. He raises and will get probably everyone to call which means with queens he has no idea what to do with 250 BB behind him.

2nd hand easily could have been an attempt at a limp re-raise. No problems there either.

If someone limps on the button with kings I would have a problem with it, but both these scenarios are fine for limping. My thoughts are you should post the hands because it seems like you lost a lot of chips with hands you should not have this deep, unless in the 2nd one it was set over set and then you really can't do much.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1st hand I think his limp is great, he is out of position. He raises and will get probably everyone to call which means with queens he has no idea what to do with 250 BB behind him.

2nd hand easily could have been an attempt at a limp re-raise. No problems there either.

If someone limps on the button with kings I would have a problem with it, but both these scenarios are fine for limping. My thoughts are you should post the hands because it seems like you lost a lot of chips with hands you should not have this deep, unless in the 2nd one it was set over set and then you really can't do much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I overplayed my hands, so that's not really the thing I'm trying to discuss.
I saw alot of limping with big pocket pairs and that's not something I see alot of at MTT's so I was wondering if it was because of the deep stacks and slow structure maybe there was some strategy behind it that I wasn't aware of.

On the first hand you want to play QQ against 6 players just because you're out of position? You don't want to raise 1) for value and 2) to narrow the field?

Also, on the KK from EP...you limp and the flop comes 572, and the big blind fires out a pot sized bet. Are you willing to go all the way with your kings at that point?

I'm trying to understand the strategy here (if there is one)
Old 11-26-2005, 05:35 AM

I dont mind raising for value on the first hand, but you probably are not gonna thin the field unless you overbet this. Implied odds are huge with 250 BB behind. I think with less people in the pot I would raise for vaule, but against 5 others its hard to do. Unless you flop a queen your gonna have a lot of trouble. I guess a smaller raise, maybe to 100 might not be bad.

In general I don't think its a good idea to limp with big pairs deepstacked. I was just trying to point out reasons why they may have been limped in these spots.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is taking position may too far. It is OK to just complete with AQ or TT or something. With QQ, you have to raise. The purpose of limping with a big pair is generally to limpraise, and that is unlikely here. Being out of position is a disadvantage, but have QQ in a raised pot versus a bunch or broadway cards, weak aces, two suited cards, small pairs, and suited connectors more trhan makes up for it. If you get a bunch of callers, you just have to decide what to do on the flop. In some cases, you will need to fold on the flop or turn, but so what. Sure you could win or lose a big pot, but you can't play scared.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Open limping in EP with KK is fairly standard. With deep stacks, this has the disadvantage of being fairly transparent, so good players can get out of the way or play for a set knowing they can stack you.

It may not matter too much if people aren't watching what you are doing, but sometimes it is good to limpraise with AK, or a similar raising hand or some small pair or suited conencter you limped with, to confuse people thinking the limpraise is a big pair.