Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Tilt-ola

a terrible, loose, tilty, wretchedly poor call, right?
"i am just running badly"
bk

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>
Old 07-21-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Tilt-ola

Yes, considering the small pot size, and the 4 clubs it is a bad call. A better play to see where you are is to bet the turn; if button raises, easy fold, if he calls, check the river and hope he checks behind you as he may be afraid of having a lower flush than you. Considering you have a straight; what is your thought process? Are you going to call the opponent down no matter what (though it is risky with 4 clubs)? If so, bet the turn, if not, fold and save yourself two bets.

If you go on tilt, step away from the table. Take a ten minute break, change tables, regroup - do something to change your mentality and emotional state.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 PM

I would definitely bet out on the turn here -- depending on the opponent, I may even reraise if raised to see if I can scare him off a lower club, and fold to a cap. Of course, I probably play a little too aggressive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-b
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM

Agreed. This is a good example of something that has been happening to me lately:

1. Opponent knows that I have 1/2 a brain
2. Opponent knows I will fold many hands
3. When I choose to play back at Opponent to defend a strong but vulnerable holding, such as medium pair-ace, or nut straight on 3-flush board, he constanly caps it off, forcing me into a costly hand, in which I have no business calling, even if I know I am facing a bluff.
4. Item 3 above may be due to the fact that I am a weak-tight little bitch, and seem to have very poorly-timed aggression. (Except this week, when I've been running hot, and everything seemed to work out like in the articles &amp; 2+2 posts.)

Please advise,
bk
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM

Yes, the call made by Hero.. was terrible. It was %100 obvious the button had the flush. Why you would throw away your money.. doesn't make sense.. I would rather set it on fire... then call a bet with 4 clubs on board.. when I have zero of them. I agree with DigDeep. If your on tilt.. take a 10 minute break... and come back when your ready to actually look at the board.

John Starks
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 PM

1. Relax
2. Button tabled 9h9d. MHIG. That's not the point, but you seem to be missing it also:

If I had posted this hand saying how hot I am since I called down this bluff, your response may be borderline appropriate. I clearly posted this with full knowledge of the error, having quantified it at the top of the post.
bk
Old 07-21-2004, 11:39 PM

Check-calling is bad here. When you're in a pot that you don't want to part with, you're the first to act, and the fourth suited card comes up, try betting out. You're trying to get your opponent to drop a baby spade or a better non-flush hand and rescue a pot that you would otherwise be incapable of winning even if it checked through. The bet itself is -EV, but if you can drag an unwinnable pot with it often enough, it's overall +EV.

Unfortunately, I can't say just how big the pot needs to be in order to justify it, because it depends on your opponent. It's good against both weak players that will fold small flushes and passive callers that will call with anything, including hands you legitimately beat them with. The suited cards don't scare the caller, so there's no more than a random chance he has one of the suit in his hand, anyway. The worst player to move against is one that will fold every hand you beat, but keep even the lowest possible flushes and other hands that beat you. Fold to a raise. Don't put any more than the one bet in the pot.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:07 AM

BK,

I am sorry I missed the part in which you were the 1 playing the hand. Good read on your part. Thanks for calling me out on my post.

John Starks