Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default It just keeps getting worse and worse...

5 handed. SB is a lag, compulsive donk bettor.

Preflop: Folded the Me on the Button, I raise 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB calls. bb folds.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, i call.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, i raise, sb calls

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, i fold.

Opinions?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: It just keeps getting worse and worse...

If you raise the flop and bet the turn, you can often check behind on the river here. Raising the flop is cheaper than raising the turn, and it makes it more likely you'll get to showdown I'd guess. You probably get more fold equity out of waiting to raise the turn, but you also give your opponent another chance to make a hand.

Folding this river is probably correct after he calls your turn raise and bets the river. I would probably call on a blank river card though.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 PM

I like a flop raise, turn bet, river check combo. If he donks the turn after you raise the flop I'd call down no matter what fell given your description. Given that you raised the turn and he still donks the river I think you can fold. You know since that river card is so ugly.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:34 PM

The As is possibly the worst card you could see, as it completes the flush draw and a lot of LAGs love to donk raggedy Ahi hands on dry flops like that. Of course, the LAG could also know this.

After SBs donkbet there are now 9.5BB in the pot by my count, which, to state the obvious, means you need to be good 9.5% of the time. This really has to come down to a read on the LAG and how much you've been folding at the table. I find donkbettors give me a lot of trouble so I'm always taking notes on what type of stuff people donk. Nevertheless, assuming the LAG isn't a complete maniac, I agree with the fold, because after you smoothcall the flop and raise the turn, the LAG can't think you're likely to fold anything. Of course, next time you probably should show down to avoid being exploited.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM

I like the river fold. You have been representing a K the whole time (and potentially a FH once the board pairs on the turn). Even if SB is aggressive, he would check if he had Ax, because the Ace completes a flush draw and may not even give him the best hand. He could even get raised. Which is maybe what he wants (barring when you have AA/KK). To me, it doesn't look like a bet at a scare card, it looks like a strong hand that doesn't want to have the river checked through.

In this hand I raise the flop. Raising the turn is ok, but I prefer doing it on the cheap street to define my hand a bit better. Then on the turn if sb checks, I bet. When the A hits on the river you can check behind or call a river bet if you think he's trying to scare you out of the pot.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5 handed. SB is a lag, compulsive donk bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that read I just call down. The only time I raise that turn is if I'm really sure I'm going to be able to check behind the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I like a flop raise, turn bet, river check combo. If he donks the turn after you raise the flop I'd call down no matter what fell given your description. Given that you raised the turn and he still donks the river I think you can fold. You know since that river card is so ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto for this. I love both of the lines here. (The one hero took and the one Toss suggested), but they just aren't very effective against an opponent who donkbets alot. See a showdown as cheaply as possible here, bet most river cards here if checked to (Not cards like the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) and cry if he C/R's.