Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Two Hands, Rate my Play (Horrible?)

The first hand I think I played horribly--and the second..Can I get away from that?
(Edit...I'm new to NL/6Max BTW..was up $350 this session before I lost these 2 big hands)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($0)
CO ($50.35)
Button ($61.69)
Hero ($118.4)
BB ($81.4)
UTG ($6.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, BB calls $7, CO calls $7, Button folds.

Turn: ($27.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, BB calls $15, CO calls $42.35 (All-In), Hero calls $95.40 (All-In), BB calls $58.40 (All-In).

River: ($253.65) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $253.65

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($62.4)
BB ($43.25)
UTG ($61.35)
MP ($117.05)
Button ($62.5)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, BB calls $22.25 (All-In), Hero calls $2.25.

River: ($87) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $87
Old 05-11-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Two Hands, Rate my Play (Horrible?)

Not sure what you're looking for. You flopped/turned what you are looking for and got all in. Good.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 AM

Both of these hands look fine to me.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Hand 2 looks ok to me, but hand 1 doesn't look good at all. OP got all in with bottom set against two opponents who are showing considerable strength and two straights are possible. This can't possibly be good.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 AM

I think the 3-bet on the flop in the first hand is fine, but I'd make it more. I'd probably bet more on the turn, but it really looks like someone already has the straight. Still though, I don't see how you can not bet after reraising on the flop. If you bet half pot and first player to act after you calls, the next player is getting a good price on a draw. Thus, I think it should be more. Not sure if this is correct, though. Tough spot.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP got all in with bottom set against two opponents who are showing considerable strength and two straights are possible. This can't possibly be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weak flop raise is a crucial blunder. If you're up against the nuts you need to find out soon. It's essential to blow out all draws right away.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 AM

Hand 2 exhibits the same class of error. You need to raise this flop, partly because a minbet often means 'I'm drawing', mostly because you want to find out if you're drawing dead while it's still cheap to do so.

As played, I would just call him down from the turn onward. If he's betting top set or whatever, you'll make a good profit while losing the minimum to the nuts.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:10 AM

I think you stank the joint up on both hands.

Hand 1 - you check raise with bottom set on a very dangerous board. Thus, you are now out of position, you have no idea if you are ahead or behind, and you have made the pot much bigger. You pretty much have to follow up the check raise (which TWO players called) with a very strong bet on the turn.
However, you didnt follow it up with a very strong bet on the turn (which was not a good card for you), and you then proceeded to call the rest of your money off after you are called and then raised-all-in. I dont see you being ahead here.

I prefer to lead out on the flop for full pot. If raised, then take stock. If flat called then bet 2/3rds pot - pot on the turn ... now if you are raised then you are not likely to be ahead, but maybe the raiser will try to keep you in with a minraise - whereby you can flat call and try to fill up, being likely to stack the minraiser if you do. If he raises a lot, then you can fold. In this way, you give yourself a chance to get out of jail if you are facing the dreaded 89 or Q9 or AQ, all of which are very realistic hands.

Hand 2 - you flop a straight draw, but you could well be drawing dead to a bigger made straight. You once again check-call the flop (so you have only once chance of winning the pot - that is to make your hand and have it stand up). You make your hand on the turn and check/minraise. This allows the bettor to get away from anything worse than your hand for cheap, and when he then proceeds to reraise you - you happily pile your stack into the middle. I guess its quite likely that villain in this spot has the nuts which is once again the dreaded 89. If you dont call the flop, then you dont lose your stack when you hit your card (thats assuming that you did actually lose). Even if you won this hand, I think you played it badly.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:32 AM

I like just leading the flop. We're OOP and don't want to bloat the pot to astronomic proportions with two cards to come (and several bad cards possible). Also makes a PSB on the turn more viable (if it goes OP's bet, call, call, the pot will be much smaller than if he goes for a ch/r line).
Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Hand 2 looks ok to me, but hand 1 doesn't look good at all. OP got all in with bottom set against two opponents who are showing considerable strength and two straights are possible. This can't possibly be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is getting 3:1 on his call without even considering BB. I think you see KJ and a flush draw or a similiar combination often enough that this is a decent call.