Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Default An interesting point made an MH limit (aka it\'s good to move up)

bicyclekick:
"Yes, playing higher has made me a significantly better player at 30/60. And I mean VERY significantly. So there might be a bad player or two at the 100/200, but there are 4 other players who are about equal or better players than you are and you need to learn how to play hands differently versus very tough opponents and take more meta game stuff into consideration."

I realized that this was teh same for me. When I started playing 0.5/1 a few months ago, I thought it was a lot of money. I mean, I could lose $40 in one session! That's a lot to a broke college kid.

Basically over the past 3 months I've moved up like wildfire. as soon as I had the respective bankroll I moved to the new limit, then eventually took a shot at 5/10 6max, and was very successful. After playing 5/10 6max for about a month, I hit a bit of a downswing, and moved to 2/4 full for a while, 8tabling the whole way, and it was a world of difference. Bets were bets instead of $4 or $8 or whatever, and losing $200 in a day no longer had any effect on me, since I managed to lose 1600 in two days at higher limits.

my main games right now are 3/6 6max and 5/10 6max, and I plan on moving to 10/20 6max as soon as I have the bankroll for it again.

I'm having a hard time expressing this, but I think moving up when you have the bankroll is VERY important because of this. If you think you're losing, you can move down. No big deal. And your play will probably be better.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: An interesting point made an MH limit (aka it\'s good to move up)

Nice post, Baron.

I read that thread as well and thought that BK's point was very good. It's really amazing the effects that playing bigger games can have. I am now constantly looking for the biggest game I can sit in comfortably based on bankroll. I play 3/6 online, but felt very, very comfortable playing 20/40 live this past weekend. Once you play enough it's all just bets, and playing against better players helps to make you so much more comfortable in the lower games. You'll find yourself making more daring moves and extracting more value than you did before.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Do you have the link for that thread?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have the link for that thread?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link for that thread
Old 08-02-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm jealous. I just don't have the bankroll at the moment. I am going to bonus whore myself out in a few weeks, but I'm moving right now and its a bitch. At least I got rakeback working for me, but I can't wait to push past 2/4.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:50 PM

I've been told by a couple of different sources that you play really, really bad, donnie...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM

I'm working on it. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 05:03 PM

What attracts you to 6-max so much that it is your only game? I'd want to bounce back and forth between full ring and 6-max.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What attracts you to 6-max so much that it is your only game? I'd want to bounce back and forth between full ring and 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that makes 6max more attractive is that a) it's more profitable and b) at higher limits, if you have no experience playing SH, you will get crushed.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM

No no no... I'd be very happy if the ABC 2+2ers 8-tabling the 3/6 feel content to stay there....

Seriously though, I agree 100%. It's good for your growth to play as high as your $ and emotional bankroll will allow.

If you need to step down due to an early downswing, the previous limit feels *so* much eaiser than before.

I've experienced this each time I moved up in limits, which I did quite aggressively. (.5/1 to 30/60 in 1 year... although, I'm back at 15/30 and 20/40 at the moment, experiencing an easier game than before I stepped up to the 30/60.. I'll try 30/60 again in a few months)

But please... keep 8-tabling the 3/6.. its decent money with rakeback, and I rather not see an influx of 2+2ers into the mid limits.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]