Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Quick Question

p.s. I was very drunk last night + the first day of quitting smoking, so you likely safely ignore any jackassery that went on at least on my end. I make no such promise for today, though, as you can likely already take note of.

p.p.s. It also appears my jackassing broke the thread.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

stuck

adj 1: caught or fixed; "stuck in the mud" [ant: unstuck] 2: (informal) baffled; "this problem has me completely stuck"
Old 01-20-2004, 04:38 PM

Default About Commerce

The 40-80 game in Commerce takes $10 per 1/2 hour for time. Was I getting ripped off?

To try to answer your question, I think it's still worth it to open raise late...

Kenny
Old 01-20-2004, 05:15 PM

"p.s. I was very drunk last night + the first day of quitting smoking, so you likely safely ignore any jackassery that went on at least on my end. I make no such promise for today, though, as you can likely already take note of."

First day of quitting smoking and you get drunk. I would rather sit in a lawnchair and punch myself in the face for six hours than do that. . .
Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Mason, I'd play like a maniac until someone looked me up.

I would raise with something as low as J8s.

Steal those blinds.

If you can steal twice, I think your mission will be accomplished.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Play tighter

Mason,

Good question and I know you know the answer. We need some idea of how tight the blinds are, but both blinds would half to play too tightly and adjust too much to the rake in order for you to increase your steals.

When BB calls you get 5:4 or 6:4 on your money normally heading into the flop. With the rake you get 4:4 or 5:4. If the blinds don't adjust at all you play considerably fewer hands. If the blinds adjust moderately such that they collectively fold 25% more often then you don't change your strategy (not quite, but it's easier to understand the back-of-the-envelope version - to be correct you have to adjust to the changes in both calling, change in relative hand strength that comes when everyone tightens up, the way the smaller pot affects postflop play etc).

By simple BOTE, the blinds would have to significantly overtighten for you to raise more. However, a lot of players just won't play time pots without a group 1 hand. If you get two of those in the blinds you should raise much more often from late position but only slightly more from early position because once you raise you dramatically reduce the adjustment required of the players between you and the small blind. Anytime you raise loosely and get called before the blinds, you lose significant money.

Matt
Old 01-25-2004, 05:57 AM

Hi Everyone:

I just realized I never go back to this thread.

Here's what I think is correct.

If you're first in late and you have a questionable raising hand (for that spot) be more inclined to raise. That's because you're more likely to steal the antes.

If you're in an early or middle position and you have a questionable hand (for that spot) be more inclined to fold. Part of the reason for this is that very strong hands which will make it three bets are still going to play exactly the same, but your reward for drawing out is now significantly reduced. Also, keep in mind that with many players still to act, the chances of running into a very strong hand is something you always need to consider.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 01-25-2004, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Play tighter

Hi Matt:

[ QUOTE ]
We need some idea of how tight the blinds are, but both blinds would half to play too tightly and adjust too much to the rake in order for you to increase your steals.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Game Theory tells us that against opponents who play correctly we should bluff more in small pots that in large ones (as long as the bet is the same size). This seems to imply the opposite of what you are suggesting.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 01-25-2004, 06:03 AM

Hi Vehn:

Check the B&M Forum for the must move games thread.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 01-25-2004, 01:57 PM

A couple of thoughts on this question:

At one point I ran some simulations on time pots which are essentially a rake on the pot. The only hands that showed a profit in those simulations were the group one hands. The sims were on Turbo and used an average mix of people.

I believe I read somewhere that Abdul had a similar set of sims that showed if there was a drop on the flop his minimum raising hand on the button is JJ.

In addition to the sims, there are game theoretic considerations, which is what I think you are addressing in your response.