Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Mark Blade\'s, \"Professional Poker\"

Hi Steam,

Hope everything is well with you.
It surprises me that you are asking if I've read the book when I published a review of it on this forum. Also, I discuss the book within this thread. I stand by my original conclusion:

"Profit rules. Get with it."

-Snowball
Old 10-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Steamboatin, look at what Snowball ACTUALLY said. . .

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 uses the same "To fully understand this, we recommend you buy x, y, and z books of ours."

[/ QUOTE ]

The examples I gave were exactly this type of statement. As I think I made clear, I don't have a problem with them doing it, in fact, they have every right to do so, but to say they NEVER attempt to advertise one book inside of another is just false. That said, the books they list are first-rate.

Look closely at what I actually said, those plugs made perfect sense in the context of the discussions on those pages, they're worlds removed from the 'I'd tell you this now, but you need to buy my next book' type of nonsense this thread originally started out decrying.

I just felt the need to defend Snowball, who made an accurate statement. Look at the quote he made, then look at the quotes I listed. They follow EXACTLY the pattern that Snowball said they did. Does this mean Mason should be at all defensive or upset about this? Certainly not, the recommendations make sense contextually, and they're not withholding information just to sell more books. They're simply highlighting the fact that more information is available about a specific game or circumstance that falls outside the scope of the book at hand. What Mark Blade has been accused of is quite a bit different.

I think where Snowball went wrong was in assuming that these two things amounted to the same thing, they don't. It's one thing to draw attention to another book, it's quite another to write a book that acts solely as a house organ for a subsequent book.

Anyway, 2+2, keep putting out quality books and I'll keep buying 'em. Whether the footnotes tell me to or not.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:12 AM

You should read exactly what I said.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a large number of 2+2 books and I don't remember a single blatant plug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then reread your reply and it appears that you went to a lot of trouble to agree with me that there are no blatant plugs in two plus two books.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:15 AM

I am sorry if we hurt your feelings but I am certain your next book will be better because of this discussion.