Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Giving up the job to play pro?

I figure by this time next year i'll have the bankroll to give up my job the way things are going at the moment. Thing is though, i don't really want to pin all my hopes of future success on online poker so have decided i'll go to college for 3 years to get a degree. Anyone got any ideas on courses? Here is the criteria:

Can't be too demanding (nothing ridiculous like physics etc) thus leaving me enough time to play plenty of poker.

Must have good career prospects at the end of it.

I have good mathematical and reasoning skills so probably something academic would be more suitable then something creative.

Need to make the parents proud, so no mickey mouse courses please.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Giving up the job to play pro?

Sounds like you're talking about Economics to me.

Of course, this is the wrong forum and you've left out a lot of potentially helpful details considering I doubt many (or any) on this forum know much about you.

Yugoslav
Old 09-06-2005, 07:12 PM

Economics - yeah, good idea... studied it before as well, plus i live in london so could get a nice tidy city job at an investment bank or something at the end of it, if the easy poker money dries up in 4 years time (which i suspect it will). Thanks.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:12 PM

Perhaps you should look at business related courses? If you are as comfortable with math as you state, perhaps accounting or business management in general? I know you mentioned creative related programs not being desired, but perhaps you should consider business marketing as math plays a very key role here in the sense of accounting, finances, and economics.

The reason why I would suggest a business major for anyone serious about playing poker is that it will do several things for you (based on my experiences):

1) Increase the likelihood of being disciplined in regards to managing your play schedule, your bankroll, and your game theory.

2) If you primarily play online, you could perhaps parlay your newfound business skills into starting an online (or offline) business that you could then run in synch with playing online poker from a home office. This is what I do.

2a) I am also in the process of starting a poker related venture as part of an advertising properties group. This will create some opportunities for me (and my partners) to play a higher volume of games at higher stakes, while at the same time minimizing our risk vs. reward ratio due to it being a foundation of our marketing plans. Had I not have taken business marketing seriously during a particular semester, I probably never would of thought of this idea.

Anyhow, as the above poster mentioned. What are your interests? Prior to poker, did you ever see yourself doing anything career wise in a long-term sense? What do you do currently?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM

By the way, based on your other post that I just read. A home business will probably be best if you wish to get hammered with the liquid courage on the job. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the ideas Rambo. Never really had any particular career aspirations before poker, and probably should have gone to university as soon as i left school. At the moment i'm in a pretty dull 9-5 accounting job and would rather hang myself then stay in this job forever. As for interests.... not many i'm afraid [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] drinking, going to pubs, bars, nightclubs, shooting pool, football, women and poker of course. The wonderful thing about poker is it may (or may not if things go badly) give me a chance to get out of the current rut i'm in.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM

Go to college. Easiest party of your life.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to college. Easiest party of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on your major...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure by this time next year i'll have the bankroll to give up my job the way things are going at the moment. Thing is though, i don't really want to pin all my hopes of future success on online poker so have decided i'll go to college for 3 years to get a degree. Anyone got any ideas on courses? Here is the criteria:

Can't be too demanding (nothing ridiculous like physics etc) thus leaving me enough time to play plenty of poker.

Must have good career prospects at the end of it.

I have good mathematical and reasoning skills so probably something academic would be more suitable then something creative.

Need to make the parents proud, so no mickey mouse courses please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend maths. No essays, litle to memorise, least hours per week for those who don't fear maths.

Its also very versatile and well respected by employers/parents.

chez
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Nursing.

Any job that doesn't absolutely require you to place your hands on the customer or his property will have been exported by the time you get out of school.