Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Induce the bluff biatch!

Thanks LIL!

Why would I mind if A high checks behind? And why would you think that a worse ace would call my river bet but bottom pair will fold?? That doesnt make any sense. He's calling with ANY piece of the board almost 100% of the time. Betting has ZERO value if he has any piece of it. Betting has a tiny bit of value if he has some naked ace (in the case that he calls, which he often times will not). What will happen much more often than his having a naked ace will be his having some busted draw, not worth calling one more bet on the river. In this case betting has ZERO value since he will just fold, but checking has a tiny bit of value in the cases that he bluffs (which in my opinion is a bit bigger than the tiny bit of value in betting when he has a naked ace).
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 AM

You mind if A high checks behind because you have just missed winning 1BB from a large majority of hands. I also don't expect him to fold any pairs, he just has A high more often than those.

Given his action/board it's more likely he does have A high than the busted draw, one straight draw got there, one's a silly 46 draw, the flush is possible. Yet it's very rare for any player to go call-call-wake-up-and-bluff.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see nothing of value here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look closer.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:34 PM

So, Dynasty, would you bet or check this river? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM

Check/calling this river is standard play. Since there are several draws on the flop it is very possible that your opponent was drawing and is simply bluffing because you showed weakness by checking the river. You must call in a situation like this unless you know your opponent will never ever bluff.

Its true there is a slight chance that he has ace high and will call if you bet but that chance is simply not big enough to make a bet worthwile. And even if he does have ace high he might still bluff at the pot if you check.