Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Early stages, flop the nut boat, unsure of my play

UB $5+.50 $4,000 Guaranteed

This is like the 5th hand in, blinds are still 5/10.

I am dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. All stack sizes are effectively T1500, although I have villain slightly covered.

I'm just not sure that this is going to get the maximum extraction in all cases.

Pre-flop:
4 limpers JerZHoya raises to 80.
6 folds, Villain calls. 1 fold
Flop (board: Ac Ks Kd):

Villain checks. JerZHoya bets 150. Villain raises to
300. JerZHoya calls.

Turn (board: Ac Ks Kd 4c):

Villain bets 100. JerZHoya raises to 600...

Edited to remove info that'll bias responses.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Early stages, flop the nut boat, unsure of my play

thats fine... your probably only going to get action if he has a king and if he does have a king you will bust him so get as much in the pot as you can like you did. If he has a king he's either coming over the top all-in or flat calling, which you will put him in on the river anyway.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:30 PM

I think you played it pretty well. If he has a king he pushes, if not its doubtful you could have got much more out of him on the river.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 PM

See, my first question was about the flop bet. I know a lot of people would check behind there, but that am I checking behind there? QQ? I want to fastplay my montsters in order that my CBs get more respect. Secondly, the turn raise is a play I'll frequently make with either AQ or even a gutshot straight draw, so I think that it's ultimately good for metagame reasons.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See, my first question was about the flop bet. I know a lot of people would check behind there, but that am I checking behind there? QQ? I want to fastplay my montsters in order that my CBs get more respect. Secondly, the turn raise is a play I'll frequently make with either AQ or even a gutshot straight draw, so I think that it's ultimately good for metagame reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

he only bet 100 on the turn. Given UB has that bet pot button, I'm not raising here.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he only bet 100 on the turn. Given UB has that bet pot button, I'm not raising here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I'd say that given the generally weak/tight nature of a typical UB player who can lay down KT in this spot, I think it would be a fine raise, although it is certainly read dependent.

EDIT: Or do you mean that I shouldn't have raised with the AA?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:21 PM

I like the preflop & flop play. Why not think for a bit on the turn and smooth call. A big raise on the turn may chase him away unless he has a K. Otherwise, you may have a shot on the river to get all of his chips if he thinks you are weak. If he's holding AK, well - dream flop and he's toast anyway.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 PM

I hate smoothcalling the turn because we're pretty deep stacked and I want everything he's got, so I'm looking to build a pot on the turn.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Believe me I hear what you're saying. There's just as good a chance this guy reraises your turn raise, but only if he's holding a K. If he's holding AK, your gonna get all of his chips anyway. What if he's holding QQ, he's done with the hand on your turn raise and you've got nothing more. If that is the case, he may lead out or check call on the river. Just another way of looking at it.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:30 PM

ONLY cuz its early part of the Tourney, Im pushing preflop. I know it sounds nuts and U can get caught with your skirt down here and there BUT it seems in the early parts of these tourneys that A LOT of people are looking to double-up and so they are willing to take a shot here, I usually catch more than 1 other player willing to come with me for a spin and if with a little luck you could tap 4 guys qwik here.
Of course you can go down in flames BUT its worth it at this stage of the tourney to grab that envious position and you can sit back and bird dog them from here on out playing your premium suiteds and pairs and when I catch that 33% I dont cry I just play another one, after all its just one long game isnt it?

Anyone NOT agree if its really early in the T?