Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Unimproved AK is costing me money...........

The 2nd biggest leak in my game seems to be from raising AK before the flop then continuing to bet it even if I miss.

Sometimes this will win the hand on either the Flop or Turn (usually the Turn, as I'm seeing a lot of people who feel obligated to call a single Flop bet after calling 2 before the Flop).

Just as often, I walk straight into a Turn Checkraise or into someone calling me down to the River with a small/medium pair (though I love these same guys when the Flop does hit my hand).

How do you guys deal with the following situations (if you bet the Flop, do you call a Raise/Checkraise? Do you continue to bet the Turn if not Raised?):

1) Raise AK from early position, one caller + BB
Ragged, low flop misses me completely (I almost always bet out on this one)

2) Same as above but 3 callers (happens a lot in good, loose games)

3) Raise late position after one limper, he and BB Call
Ragged, low Flop misses; action checked to me (I bet out on this one 100% myself)

4) Same as above but 3 limpers

How would your decision be affected by the Flop having a single Q or J in it? By it being 2-suited (not your suit)?

I'm trying to get away from always making a continuation bet after the Flop regardless of circumstances. But I also don't want to tip my hand by never betting when the Flop misses me.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Unimproved AK is costing me money...........

[ QUOTE ]

1) Raise AK from early position, one caller + BB
Ragged, low flop misses me completely (I almost always bet out on this one)

[/ QUOTE ]

bet. trying to get the button.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Same as above but 3 callers (happens a lot in good, loose games)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a check for me out of position like this.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Raise late position after one limper, he and BB Call
Ragged, low Flop misses; action checked to me (I bet out on this one 100% myself)

[/ QUOTE ]

100% is correct here, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

4) Same as above but 3 limpers

[/ QUOTE ]

3 limpers plus the BB, right? when it gets up to 3-4 players I start checking some flops here. The greater chance I think I have of getting a free river card, the more inclined I am to bet here. The greater the chance of a flop c/r, the less inclined to bet.

[ QUOTE ]

How would your decision be affected by the Flop having a single Q or J in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

more likely to bet with the Q as I might get some folds/free cards, less likely with the J especially if it is straight coordinated.

[ QUOTE ]
By it being 2-suited (not your suit)?

[/ QUOTE ]

in the 3 limpers scenario it makes me want really want to give up on the hand. you are virtually never going to take down the pot unimproved, and two of your overcard outs are seriously tainted.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:45 PM

At low stakes games online I wouldn't really be worried about tipping your hand.

But in those situations you listed I am leading out with a continuation bet most of the time as well. You said you run into a check-raise on the turn about as often as you win it right there...

Maybe mix up the continuation bets more. Continuation bet on the flop and then check behind on the turn could be a better route, give yourself a free chance at hitting an ace or a king, and if you don't lay it down to a bet on the river. Then if you feel the need to mix up your play check-raise every once in a while either on the flop or turn when you have hit to keep your opponents guessing.

Just because you continuation bet on the flop doesn't mean you should keep at it on the turn.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 AM

So if I'm out of position against only 1-2; do I bet Flop hoping for a fold, then Check/Fold Turn if I don't improve?

Luckily, I've finally learned not to bet a missed flop into a multiway hand. I've pissed away too many bets that way.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:15 AM

consider folding to those turn c/r's and not betting the river UI
Old 10-13-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I'm out of position against only 1-2; do I bet Flop hoping for a fold, then Check/Fold Turn if I don't improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one really depends on the texture of the board. If it's a real garbage board I might take one more stab on the turn, as a lot of low limit players will take one more off with overcards and then fold the turn. But without catching an A or K on the river, that's all the money I'm putting into the pot.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM

I had a lot of trouble with this early also. But I realized how to play them.

1st off if you know you are betting the flop and turn bet like you have it. Other players sense any weakness they will be more likely to call you down or bluff. here is a perfect example.

Your AK with a board of QJ63 and the other player has 76. Bet like you got it because it might make him fold the turn.

------------------
Ok things I consider.

The player: what does he call down with? A high, any pair, any draw? Is he capable of bluffing? Has he ever bluffed?

The board: whats the texture? A board with a flush draw and some crazy str8 draw I would continue betting vs one
opponent. More than not he has some crazy draw. You get a flop of T44 rainbow and the guy calls you and he is not known for calling down with A high.. well now you have to see he has a T, 4, or a wired pair.

# of players: Bet into <3, check into 3+. With the money in the pot with only 2 players and your flop bet it is +EV to bet. With 3 players it is much more likely they have something.

if there are no flush draws, a low str8 draw, I have a backdoor flush (assume 2 suited for me), then I can assume my overs are good. Id bet here into 3-4 players. Here you have a 1/3 chance to win based on the backdoor draw and the overpairs. But only if your A or K wont make someone else a better hand. You can get other hands you dont want to fold even if a couple people call increasing your chance to win.

If you have totaly missed the flop there is no shame in checking to 3+ players. Hey you missed. More than not someone hit.

If you get raised on the flop look at the board. Can you catch up? Are your outs tainted? If you totally missed the flop (red cards, black double suit flop with low to medium card, no draw) fold the hand.

If I got outs I call and see the turn. But then this depends on the player too. Will he raise HU with a draw in position?

There are times you will fold on the river.

BOARD: 9s 7s, 5d TURN: 2c, RIVER: 6s

What can you beat here thats what you have to think.

Now if you bet/called the flop, bet/check raised the turn and you got nothing vs a single opponent. Unless this guy is a big bluffer you gotta fold.

If you got 2 callers on a coordinated board and you have no pair or draw then most likely one of them has you beat. I usually find one has a pair, one has some draw.

If you have outs and are raised on the flop. Id call and fold unimproved on the turn UNLESS the other player is capable of pulling a move. I know some players that never know when to stop bluffing.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one really depends on the texture of the board. If it's a real garbage board I might take one more stab on the turn, as a lot of low limit players will take one more off with overcards and then fold the turn. But without catching an A or K on the river, that's all the money I'm putting into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't actually agree with this plan. More important than the texture of the board, is your opponents tendencies. I like to keep track of when my opponent gives up on a missed flop, and I bet until I get to his give up point. Also, when the board has some draws available, it is more likely that he is hanging around on one of the draws, where a real garbage board makes it more likely that he has a one pair hand when he calls your bets. I am more likely to keep playing to showdown if there are draws available, that don't get there, than if the board is apparently drawless.

So, headsup with on a board that there are some reasonable draws to, I am more likely to showdown at the river, where if the board is pretty drawless, I am more likely to check/fold the river. Again it all depends on my opponent, some of them will routinely peel the turn, just like a lot of others routinely peel the flop.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More important than the texture of the board, is your opponents tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. I was thinking about this more if I'm 4-tabling, not having any particular read on a player, where in my experience at 2-4 and 3-6 a lot of players call the flop with any overcards (e.g.K-8 on a 6-4-2 board) and then fold without help on the turn. I agree though, that having low draws out there does make me more likely to bet again on the turn, and possibly the river if I've seen him call down with a weaker ace.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:03 PM

vs single opponent, Board texture and his pattern determine a lot of what I do.