Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Getting web browser hijacked?

Earlier today, I was having troubles getting to the 2+2 forum. Whenever I tried to get here, I was redirected to a website that was like www.web-search.com/error.html. A new window also opened up that was www.lycos.la. It also prompted me to add that website to my "favorites" list, which I of course declined. I ran all my spyware tools and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

I restarted the server, and now I can get here just fine. Should I worry?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Getting web browser hijacked?

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier today, I was having troubles getting to the 2+2 forum. Whenever I tried to get here, I was redirected to a website that was like www.web-search.com/error.html. A new window also opened up that was www.lycos.la. It also prompted me to add that website to my "favorites" list, which I of course declined. I ran all my spyware tools and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

I restarted the server, and now I can get here just fine. Should I worry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your web browser HAS been hijacked. The page you saw was your new hijacked search page. To test this, try typing in something like www.afpaisjpefoasiefnpasfebnpoasiefjasep.com and seeing if it goes to that page. Download microsoft antispyware beta and use the browser restore options.

Freakin
Old 03-28-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your web browser HAS been hijacked. The page you saw was your new hijacked search page. To test this, try typing in something like www.afpaisjpefoasiefnpasfebnpoasiefjasep.com and seeing if it goes to that page. Download microsoft antispyware beta and use the browser restore options.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so given that I restarted my computer and now it doesn't go there anymore, do I STILL need to worry? I'll go get the SW you recommended.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM

you should probably download a firewall if you haven't already got one. zone alarm is good.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so given that I restarted my computer and now it doesn't go there anymore, do I STILL need to worry? I'll go get the SW you recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it go there if you type in web pages that don't exist, or does it just not go there when you try to go to 2+2?

Freakin
Old 03-29-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it go there if you type in web pages that don't exist, or does it just not go there when you try to go to 2+2?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had this problem, it was both. I could see the main 2+2 page fine and the magazine page, but any forums I tried to go to got hijacked. A couple of other non-existent webpages also got hijacked as well as the HijackThis page from www.download.com. Makes me suspicious.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:15 AM

you also need a firewall
Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 AM

http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you also need a firewall

[/ QUOTE ]

Does any of this advice change if I told you that this was a work computer and that we should already have a firewall in place?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Which spyware tools did you run? Those browswer hijacks are some of the worst. Each time you delete it, a .vb script puts it back in when you open it.