Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Wireless (dis)connection

Do many people here have problems with their wireless connection? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Lately my connection has been going in and out often and its been costing me money while playing poker. Its very frustrating. Any help?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Wireless (dis)connection

Wireless - Some people swear by it, whilst others swear at it!

I use a Linksys Wireless G router, and when I first got it I used to suffer from numerous disconnects - one of our techies gave me a fix that improved things 1000%.

[ QUOTE ]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Dnscache\Parameters]
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SynAttackProtect"=dword:00000002
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000000
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000000
"KeepAliveTime"=dword:0000ea60

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer - back up your registry before messing with it. I accept no liability if things go wrong!

Just copy the quoted text into your notepad and save as a .reg file - then double click on it to add to the registry, reboot and see if that helps.

Rom
Old 03-15-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do many people here have problems with their wireless connection? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Lately my connection has been going in and out often and its been costing me money while playing poker. Its very frustrating. Any help?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the problem the signal strength? If so, you can try a different antenna. For popular home access points you can find kits for 10dBi patch antenna that will boost the strength of your signal by a factor of 10.

Keep in mind, this also means that people farther away will be able to see your home network, making good security even more important.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if you're using B or G you could be experiencing interference from other devices on the 2.4ghz wave like cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other nearby wireless routers. one option is to use the less popular 802.11A (as long as you can tolerate the lesser range), but you'd probably need a new wireless card and router. i still don't play poker over wifi though.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wireless - Some people swear by it, whilst others swear at it!

I use a Linksys Wireless G router, and when I first got it I used to suffer from numerous disconnects - one of our techies gave me a fix that improved things 1000%.

[ QUOTE ]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Dnscache\Parameters]
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SynAttackProtect"=dword:00000002
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000000
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000000
"KeepAliveTime"=dword:0000ea60

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer - back up your registry before messing with it. I accept no liability if things go wrong!

Just copy the quoted text into your notepad and save as a .reg file - then double click on it to add to the registry, reboot and see if that helps.

Rom

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have a Linksys Wireless G, maybe I'll try it.
How do I backup my registry? If something goes wrong, could I lose everything?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're using B or G you could be experiencing interference from other devices on the 2.4ghz wave like cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other nearby wireless routers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, astroglide.

TBoner7, if you are using the default channel for your router, you may want to change it. If it is on 6 now, you can try changing the channel to 1 or 11.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 PM

Yeah disconnects suck sometimes but it's great when you don't miss any hands while in the crapper.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're using B or G you could be experiencing interference from other devices on the 2.4ghz wave like cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other nearby wireless routers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, astroglide.

TBoner7, if you are using the default channel for your router, you may want to change it. If it is on 6 now, you can try changing the channel to 1 or 11.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have changed it already. I think it is on 11 now. Whatever it is on now is the only thing that works at all. I also have previously bought larger antennas. Helped somewhat, but still having problems. The connection just goes completely out, or down to 1 Mbps. I've even been within ONE foot of it with my laptop and got NOTHING. I also have problems on my desktop, so its not just my laptop either.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Why kind of Access Point are you using, TBoner? Is there a dual antenna system? Is the AP set to use both of them, or perhaps only one incorrectly? Are the antenna connected tightly?

The transmission seems low, but what about signal strength? DO you see the strength as high when you are close to the AP?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why kind of Access Point are you using, TBoner? Is there a dual antenna system? Is the AP set to use both of them, or perhaps only one incorrectly? Are the antenna connected tightly?

The transmission seems low, but what about signal strength? DO you see the strength as high when you are close to the AP?

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by kind of Access point? It has two antennas. The antenna had a bar that held them together so they didn't move but I was having problems like that, so I took that off and still have problems. Sometimes its the signal that goes completely out and other times the transmission just goes low. I've had my laptop right next to the router and got NO signal at all. Doesn't even detect it. Then it randomly comes back later at full or low strength.