Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 PM

Default KK sees some resistance

5/10 Interpoker, 6 handed... no reads on villain he just sat down. The river had me guessing after he just called my turn raise and donked back out at me. Anyone have any thoughts on this hand?

Hero has KK

UTG raises, I 3-bet, folds back around to UTG who caps, and I call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he caps, I call.

OK, very drawy board, but I have some backdoor straight outs. I felt like I had the best hand and wanted to raise while it was ahead. Should I have waited till the turn?

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I raise, he calls.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I call.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: KK sees some resistance

This is usually AQs. He doesn't want to give a free card to a flush, and wants to make sure a bet goes in any street. I'd raise the river I think.

Not sure, his line is consistent with AA too, but not a set.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM

You went way too aggro with this.

Think about a standard unknown UTG's PF capping hands: AA-TT, AK, and maybe AQ if he's aggro.

What does your flop raise accomplish against these hands? If villain has TT, then he can get away from this hand way to cheaply. JJ and QQ both have you dominated with flopped sets. KK is pushing so no difference. We beat AK and he is drawing to 7 outs. For the rare case of AQ, we are ahead and he is drawing to a 5 outer.

Now think about which hands will cap preflop, then c/r this flop OOP thar you beat. Does AK do this? Probably no. AQ? Maybe but it's still doubtful he'll cap with this preflop from UTG. Hands that will do this: JJ, QQ, KK, AA. You chop with one and are drawing to 2 outs for the rest. Any raising after this is spewing. If he doesn't have one of these hands then he's bluffing and your best line is to let him continue to do so. Check/call down to showdown.

After seeing the whole hand, the best hand I can put him on is AA.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM

QQ and JJ 3bet this turn 100% of the time. You're only behind AA IMO. You're splitting with AK. You're beating AQ. It's close.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QQ and JJ 3bet this turn 100% of the time. You're only behind AA IMO. You're splitting with AK. You're beating AQ. It's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that, I was referring to the flop action where the possible hand lineup is basically a bluffing JJ-AA, and AQ. Doesn't it make sense to just call down at this point when the majority of hands you're up against have you toasted?