Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Standard top pair weak kicker?

Questioning all my lines lately, how's this look?
So far the table seems passive, but I've only been here a few hands and no one stands out.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 12-29-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Standard top pair weak kicker?

I just check the river and call 1. I KNOW I'm not folding if raised, and I DON'T want to pay 2 to show down. Thus, I'm checking and calling and noting what he called me down with when there is an A and a K on the board.

Of course, I also like to miss value bets. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

nh.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 AM

standard
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 AM

Since you were called on the turn, I would check fold the river.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:49 AM

Three responses, each a different opinion. Perhaps I'll just keep playing it the same way.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:01 AM

well it completly depends on villian, if that helps at all
Old 12-29-2005, 03:11 AM

I bet and fold to a raise here. If I respect my opponent I'll check/fold on the river, but for a typical micro opponent the call doesn't scare me. I think I'm losing over 90% of the time to a raise.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:26 AM

Bet/fold and check/call on the river accomplish the same thing, so in my opinion it doesn't matter which you choose
Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 AM

Well, I expect a call from worse hands who would check behind on the river much more often than I expect to fold the winning hand to a raise. I don't expect to see a better hand check behind if I check the river, so I don't gain anything by checking.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 AM

I think there is a difference between the two.

If I check-call, my opponent can't raise me with good hands and he may try to bluff. At the same time I miss value when he has a pair of 9s or 8s and would have called a bet.

If I bet-fold, I may gain a bet when my opponent is holding a 9 or 8, but have the chance of getting bluff raised out of the pot.

Since I have no read here, I assume loose passive. Bet-fold seems to be best versus this type of player because he won't try to bluff raise and I won't miss value. Now if the opponent were very aggressive or a maniac then I would tend to lean towards check-call because I want a showdown.
If you disagree please explain why because I'm really not sure of much in this game any more.