Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: winrate Q (i\'ve read the FAQ)

[ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you are saying it is possible to sustain the given win rate at this level. Of course, the better players are going to move up. But, if one were to choose to stay at 100NL they could sustain this winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible, but would be really hard. Anyone capable of doing it would have a really hard time not tilting out of boredom for playing at the same level for so long.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM

interesting responses...is 10 PTBB/100 sustainable at $50 6max?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quick answer: probably

long answer: noone would ever play even 1/4 of the hands required to narrow your BB/100 down to a range that gave you even the slightest inkling of what your actual true win rate is, without moving up in stakes. Except maybe Grudge. Even then the information is flawed, as you probably play differently at the end of your 250K hand stretch than you did at the beginning.

People are way too focused on a number that they'll never play enough hands to have statistical confidence in. Play g00t, move up when you're comfortable and rolled.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of at least a dozen people who frequent this forum can sustain that winrate. Whether they have actually played large enough sample size is irrelevant. Also most people move up long before they have enough sample.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:42 PM

Sorry, I didn't clearly state my question.

What is the difference between PTBB and BB?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I didn't clearly state my question.

What is the difference between PTBB and BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 ptbb=2 bb
Most people use poker tracker so it's more popular than bb nowadays.
Isn't that in FAQ?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:14 PM

nice response. thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
noone would ever play even 1/4 of the hands required to narrow your BB/100 down to a range that gave you even the slightest inkling of what your actual true win rate is, without moving up in stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

250 hands/hr at 40 hrs/wk = 10,000 hands/week. 250k hands is six months of play at the same level.

Also, some people noted that 3BB/100 at $100 > 8BB/100 at $25. Yet, for those moving up and learning the game, it isn't that simple. My winrate at $50 is currently 0, tho that's for 12k hands. My winrate at $25 is 4. Without the skills to beat $25, moving up is of course pointless. Some of you had an easy time at it, but I'm not. I'm still struggling. I tried to move up to $50 yet despite some good days I couldn't justify staying there.

[ QUOTE ]
People are way too focused on a number that they'll never play enough hands to have statistical confidence in. Play g00t, move up when you're comfortable and rolled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing that 8 is sustainable means that, with skill, 8 isn't just a lucky streak. I saw someone mention running well for 10k-ish hands for 15-18 and then have that fall back down to a 8-10 average after a downswing. So, 8 isn't a lucky streak; 8 is sustainable.

This is important to know cuz it sets earn. 4-tabling $100 and making 8PTBB is $40/hr, which is a real wage. Serious money. Knowing that it is sustainable means that making a career at internet poker (at least while it lasts) is possible.

*I* want to know if 8 is sustainable, cuz if it is, then I can par-tay this winter and try to pay bills with some poker on the side. Currently, my $5/hr winrate at $25 isn't paying those bills, but it's helping. Knowing that 8 at $100 is sustainable... I'm going for it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 PM

this is exactly what i'm talking about:

[ QUOTE ]
My winrate at $50 is currently 0, tho that's for 12k hands. My winrate at $25 is 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your standard deviation is the same as mine, then after 12K hands at 0bb/100, statistically there is a 95% chance your winrate is somewhere between 6.92 and -6.92 BB/100. You have absolutely no idea if you're a winner in this game or not, but you're taking your observed win rate as gospel and making decisions based on it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 PM

actually if you play 6-max and get rakeback 4-tabling nl100 for 8bb/100 is more like $55-60/hr.

also, when people say it's sustainable, that doesn't mean if you work really hard you'll be able to do it. i dont want to be mean.

of COURSE making a living playing online poker is possible. making $200/hr or more is possible. but don't think just because some people do it without relying on luck means anyone can.