Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Winning big - The worst scenario for new players?

From what i've seen, it seems like the worst thing that could happen to an online beginner is that he could turn his initial 50$ into a thousands.

Most of us didnt run into that kind of luck. We started out small, maybe won a bit and thought we were great, lost it right back, tried to figure out where we went wrong, and improve our game.

But for the new guys who did end up getting 4 or 5 figures out of their first buyin... Almost all of them dont have the skill to maintain it, and end up losing it as fast as they won. And then once they're down to a couple 100 from thousands... Its like they went from drinking coca-cola for a caffeine buzz to railing lines of cocaine, and then trying to go back to cocacola.

Everyone i know (only 3 or 4 people) who ended up in huge gambling debt started out with a huge winning streak.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Winning big - The worst scenario for new players?

I know if I won that much money online I would go from coca-cola to railing lines of cocaine...dayum!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what i've seen, it seems like the worst thing that could happen to an online beginner is that he could turn his initial 50$ into a thousands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty as charged, though I would say it's a bad thing.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Happened to me.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:07 PM

I don't know if it's all that bad. Dealing with the $3,000 or so I lost after my $50 deposit was a huge lesson for me. If a person survives this, and deals with it properly, I think it can only help.

These days I'm less eager to stretch my bankroll, I'm more realistic about my abilities, and I'm more open to expert advice.

The beginner wants to think he's Mikey McD, born with a gift that magically enables him to win millions from hopeless suckers (these are the players who throw the word "Donkey" around in .50/1 games). They will ignore logic to stay with that dream.

I think if they can survive the fall back to earth and still maintain the drive to play, they are all the better for it.

If one plunges into debt chasing that first streak, that says more about the person than it does the game, IMO.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's all that bad. Dealing with the $3,000 or so I lost after my $50 deposit was a huge lesson for me. If a person survives this, and deals with it properly, I think it can only help.

These days I'm less eager to stretch my bankroll, I'm more realistic about my abilities, and I'm more open to expert advice.

The beginner wants to think he's Mikey McD, born with a gift that magically enables him to win millions from hopeless suckers (these are the players who throw the word "Donkey" around in .50/1 games). They will ignore logic to stay with that dream.

I think if they can survive the fall back to earth and still maintain the drive to play, they are all the better for it.

If one plunges into debt chasing that first streak, that says more about the person than it does the game, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, entirely.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM

I know people who have won thousands and thousands and then tanked it all. I had a friend who won a huge rebuy and then won two seats to the WSOP and cashed one of the seats for a total prize of around $16000 in the span of two weeks. Not even a month later this foo was hitting me up wanting me to transfer him $100. I was like what the hell did you do with that money!!!! He had won so much he figured he could win twice as much playing the high stakes...what an idiot. The guy still owes me $300 so I guess I wasn't the smartest person in the world either for loaning him cash. I myself had a great 2 months winning $5300 with a $20 investment and then won several sit and go's and finished up about $7000 total. I took the $5300 and paid off my car and took the leftover cash and bought just about every poker book and DVD on the market. A good investment for sure. I guess I would just advise someone to not get crazy with the cash flow!!! It goes faster than it comes.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM

Happened to me...luckily (?) I'm risk-averse enough to continue to grind it out, level-by-level, until I'm confident financially and mentally to move up.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:56 PM

I lost 3 or 4 $50 buyins before I reached 4 and (just recently) 5 figures. I made it to $600 and lost it all twice while learning. I think it is hard for new players to realize that there is variance and you are (in the short term) at the mercy of the cards.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:33 PM

i was super lucky and lost my first three deposits. yay for me.

fim