Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Re-raising all-in with AQo -- too LAG?

There are about 70 players left; the chip average is about 22000. The only money I care about is in the top 5 spots.

I'm in the BB in this hand, with 11719 after posting.

My first-and-a-half impression is that it's quite close.

#Game No : 1160303519
***** Hand History for Game 1160303519 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:7077218 Level:14 Blinds (1000/2000) - Wednesday, November 10, 02:22:42 EDT 2004
Table Multi-Table(129666) Table #6 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: SheldonStu ( $7428 )
Seat 3: Stanley78 ( $4164 )
Seat 6: DeVo101 ( $11390 )
Seat 7: mrzarembsky ( $13719 )
Seat 8: canh405 ( $14279 )
Seat 10: jessijeanne ( $16240 )
Seat 1: HardRoad ( $9564 )
Seat 4: tymetoretire ( $20070 )
Seat 5: FreddieAb5 ( $22840 )
Seat 9: BroadwayG ( $39308 )
Trny:7077218 Level:14
Blinds (1000/2000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mrzarembsky [ Ad Qc ]
canh405 folds.
BroadwayG folds.
jessijeanne folds.
HardRoad calls [2000].
SheldonStu calls [2000].
Stanley78 folds.
tymetoretire folds.
FreddieAb5 raises [8200].
DeVo101 folds.
mrzarembsky is all-In.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Re-raising all-in with AQo -- too LAG?

This is only a good move if you think you have the best hand. You aren't going to get him to fold any two cards at this point... he's pot committed

Given the action, the opponent is doing one of two things...he sees all the dead money out there and is making a move for the blinds with a hand like ATo or he is trying to narrow down the field with a quality hand...one that has AQo beat. I think the latter is the more likely, but you are shortstacked and have to make a stand somewhere...so it's really your preference
Old 11-10-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is only a good move if you think you have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean "if [I] think I am getting the right odds against the range of hands I put him on"?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:54 AM

Assuming you have no reads on the initial raiser.

I think the play is a little loose. The raiser is committing 36% of his stack, so you've got to put him on at least a decent hand. I guess your hoping that he has AJ or A10, maybe KQ? AA, KK, QQ, AQs, AKs, AKos all crush you.

I guess if deep down the only positions your worried about are the top 5, it's not a horrible play, because your going to have to make a move, but you know your going to get called down since it's only 4K on top of his raise...so you better be sure you have the right hand.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:12 AM

Generally speaking, I don't like to go all-in with AQ after someone has already opened the pot - especially after a couple of limpers and a raiser. But ultimately this comes down to your read of the other players and a decision as to whether or not this is the hand to take a stand on.

If you decide to go all-in, I would do so as a stop-and-go. As already mentioned, he's pot committed and going to call your raise all-in. So just smooth call and push on the flop. If he didn't hit he is much more likely to fold then versus pre-flop.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, I don't like to go all-in with AQ after someone has already opened the pot - especially after a couple of limpers and a raiser. But ultimately this comes down to your read of the other players and a decision as to whether or not this is the hand to take a stand on.

If you decide to go all-in, I would do so as a stop-and-go. As already mentioned, he's pot committed and going to call your raise all-in. So just smooth call and push on the flop. If he didn't hit he is much more likely to fold then versus pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem with this line, as I see it, is that I want to drop the limpers. Pushing gives me the best chance to do that.
Also, I'm not sure I gain a whole lot of folding equity by waiting until the flop to push. What hands on what flops is he gonna fold for 4K after making that big preflop raise? Maybe KQ if an Ace flops...maybe AJ/AT if he doesn't pair...but is this what I want?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:26 AM

Well yes, I guess if you put him on something like JJ, TT or something like ..which is possible, you could have the right odds to go all in.

But when I'm playing a tournament, I tend to think more of odds of losing my entire stack as opposed to pot odds of winning the hand. For instance, if I think I'm a slight dog two overs vs an underpair (or even reversed where I'm a slight favorite), I look at it more as a situation if a 50% chance of busting out as opposed to getting 2 to 1 to call (or whatever the particular pot odds were in this situation).

Then again, you are short stacked and will probably need to pick a place to gamble, so this is probably as good an opportunity as any.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:31 AM

Those limpers are gone, if they aren't folding when it comes around...then you really have no place in the hand.

If you think there is anyway in the world those two limpers are calling 8200...you need to fold quickly. Because your AQ is definitely beat.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But when I'm playing a tournament, I tend to think more of odds of losing my entire stack as opposed to pot odds of winning the hand. For instance, if I think I'm a slight dog two overs vs an underpair (or even reversed where I'm a slight favorite), I look at it more as a situation if a 50% chance of busting out as opposed to getting 2 to 1 to call (or whatever the particular pot odds were in this situation).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second. Are you saying that if you raised with AK in a tournament, an opponent re-raised you all-in and flipped his cards to show QQ, and it was folded around to you, with the pot offering 2:1 on your call, you would....fold??
Old 11-10-2004, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think there is anyway in the world those two limpers are calling 8200...you need to fold quickly. Because your AQ is definitely beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I understand. I need to fold my AQ if I think my hand is beat? What about my pot odds?