Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 PM

Default I\'ve been prescribed to take Concerta

It's like adderall, except you only have to take it once a day.

This was prescribed to me after three sessions on ADD testing, if you could call it testing. It was basically an interview with a therapist lady, and you also took some written tests on personal habits and whatnot.

If I wanted the drugs, I could have easily conned the therapist and told her everything she wanted to hear so she could prescribe me. This is how silly the process is.

In spite of this, I answered everything honestly and was prescribed to Concerta. When I begin taking the drug I'll let you guys know what it's like.

It's the sort of situation where I'm only taking it to see if there's some sort of benefit, and I'll stop taking it after the first semester of college to see if there's a big difference.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been prescribed to take Concerta

don't tell tom cruise.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:57 PM

At both retard schools I went to, this was reguarded as the easily the best drug for ADD. Haven't tried it. Ritalin sucks, FWIW.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 PM

There is a lot of doubt and controversy behind ADD/ADHD actually being a disease. Before you start taking this drug, do a search on google to read what opponents of ADD's existence have to say.

Methylphenidate, the active ingredient of Ritalin and Concerta, is very similar to cocaine, and is addictive. see here for a long but interesting article.

Ask yourself: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF A PSYCHIATRIST PRESCRIBED YOU COCAINE TO USE DAILY!

Bob
Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot of doubt and controversy behind ADD/ADHD actually being a disease. Before you start taking this drug, do a search on google to read what opponents of ADD's existence have to say.

Methylphenidate, the active ingredient of Ritalin and Concerta, is very similar to cocaine, and is addictive. see here for a long but interesting article.

Ask yourself: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF A PSYCHIATRIST PRESCRIBED YOU COCAINE TO USE DAILY!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never met anyone who was addicted to any ADD medicine. That point is invalid.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't tell tom cruise.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 AM

I'm sure you've read this by now, but in case you haven't.

Ask your doctor what the biological differences are between ADD/ non add sufferers, when she gives you the BS about brain chemistry (which she will ) ask her how ahe got any idea of YOUR brain chemistry by asking you a whole bunch of questions. I think you'll be very intrigued by the answers. She'll probably just stutter a lot in response to the 2nd question. ADD/ADHD is a myth, there is NO medical test to diagnose it and it is treated as a disease in large part due to the huge financial influence wielded by the pharmaceutical industry in this country.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bring some friends to my next appointment.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:31 AM

I believe the difference between Ritalin and Concerta is Concerta has a time release mechanism, so you take one in 12 hours and it releases slowly, which mitigates the speedy feeling you'd get from taking straight ritalin. They both contain the same active ingredient, Methylphenidate, as someone mentioned before.

Thus, just like oxycontin, a "breaking" of the time release mechanism before ingestion has a vastly different effect. I cut one in half one time back in college not knowing this, as I had to write a 20 page term paper (my GF at the time had a presciption. Lets just say that I got completely spastic and jittery and chain smoked about 25 cigarettes in 4 hours. Got my paper done, but it wasnt pleasent. I guess what Im trying to say is dont break them in half unless you like feeling like you have an espresso IV.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 PM

My son (16) takes this. The change is dramatic. He's much more focused and can tell if he forgets to take it before school. It's time released with no buildup needed like some other ADHD meds. That is, you can start taking it one day and it starts working. Many other ones take a couple of weeks to build up and then you're screwed if you miss a day. Concerta also doesn't stick around in your system, so about 6-8 hours after taking it the effect is gone.

Basically, my son went from almost failing out of school in 9th grade to getting a B average in 10th.

Of course, it's not on my health insurance's formulary, so I'm jumping through hoops with the doctor and the insurance company and in the interim paying $120/month for it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]