Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 AM

Default how loose should i start...

In a $2/$4 online stud game with a $1 ante, and a $1 bring in, i would imagine i should loosen up considerably on starting requirements (given the large ante size compared to the limits). Am I correct, how loose should my starting requirements be?
Thx
Old 08-20-2004, 03:24 AM

Default Re: how loose should i start...

Don't think loose, think live.

But it also depends on the game. An aggressive game is a bad one to be loose in if you can't outplay them postflop. If it's really passive, then go for it: live 3 flushes, 3 straights, live pairs, live high cards with 2 flushes, gutshots with 2 flushes. The last two I'd limit to games which check around a lot. But liveness is everything. You'll know which dead hands to play.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:38 AM

That is an insane overante. Only the very worst of hands are not playable here. Christ, a live ace and a two flush is probably worth a raise if you can eliminate players.

You should seek to eliminate players on third street. If you can get (27)2 heads up against a probable pair of aces, you should.

-Michael
Old 08-21-2004, 02:39 PM

Good luck getting people to fold. chipbrave doesn't have the luxury of being able to force people to call $150 cold. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

One should certainly loosen up some, but I wouldn't get carried away with it. The bottom line is that you are going to have to show down the best hand in order to win. How much you should loosen up depends on how aggressive the game is. If it is frequently checked around on fourth and fifth streets, you can limp in with some very speculative hands. If you usually face a bet on fourth street, you should stick to reasonable hands. I'd play about any live pair with a live kicker, but I tend to do that anyway.

Unless you have a good reason for patronizing this site, e.g., a decent-sized sign-up bonus, I would seek out a game with a saner ante structure. This will be helpful as you move up in limits. Larger games will have an ante around 10% of the big bet, not 25%. Also, the bring-in should be around 1/3 of the small bet, not 1/2. There are several threads discussing all this. I don't play for any significant stakes on-line, so I'm not the guy to ask.

More than likely, some people are going to chime in and say that this game is unbeatable. They're wrong.

How much would it cost this site to invest in some $.25 or $.50 chips?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it also depends on the game. An aggressive game is a bad one to be loose in if you can't outplay them postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to work on my post-flop stud game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2004, 07:25 PM

Er...yeah. Well, some games emulate a flop by checking down 4th and 5th. Right? Right?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:32 PM

You're right. I was just funnin'
Old 08-21-2004, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One should certainly loosen up some, but I wouldn't get carried away with it. The bottom line is that you are going to have to show down the best hand in order to win. How much you should loosen up depends on how aggressive the game is. If it is frequently checked around on fourth and fifth streets, you can limp in with some very speculative hands. If you usually face a bet on fourth street, you should stick to reasonable hands. I'd play about any live pair with a live kicker, but I tend to do that anyway.

Unless you have a good reason for patronizing this site, e.g., a decent-sized sign-up bonus, I would seek out a game with a saner ante structure. This will be helpful as you move up in limits. Larger games will have an ante around 10% of the big bet, not 25%. Also, the bring-in should be around 1/3 of the small bet, not 1/2. There are several threads discussing all this. I don't play for any significant stakes on-line, so I'm not the guy to ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here Andy.

A good player who knows how to adjust to different structures will do well in this game. Just playing tighter than your opponents should show a profit but your swings will be significant in a game with this small a bet and this loose a structure.

Just my few cents

timmer