Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Live NL cash Game variance how many buys-in lost is normal?

Playing in AC $1/2 NL games I had 10 winning sessions in a row, averaging about $50/hour. Obviously I know this is not a large sample size, but I have since lost 8 staight buy-ins. Is this a normal variance in this game, or should I be concerned?
It has started with the usual stuff, loosing set over set, pkt As to pkt Qs, flopping nut str8 to lose to fh. flopping fh to get rivered by larger fh. Also I know I have made some mistakes in my play since this loosing has started, but I still think I'm playing a fairly solid game. In my game I strive to play "small-ball" poker. Not putting to much into the pot unless I have a very large advantage, and picking up as many small pots as possible.
So the bottom line is, whats a normal number of buy-ins that could be lost just due to normal variance of the game?
All thought would be welcome.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Live NL cash Game variance how many buys-in lost is normal?

This game will give you crazy swings, that's why your advised to follow proper bankroll management as is elucidated in the FAQ. Just make sure not to blindly follow bankroll conventions, just because you're bankrolled for 5/10 doesn't mean when you lose 200bb that it's variance that's gotcha. Honestly question your game, review stats, then do it all again. The downswings will be made common, although no less distasteful.

Cambraceres
Old 12-13-2005, 10:24 PM

A winning player can have downswings of up to around 20-25 buyins.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM

If all you're losing to is fh to bigger fh, set over set, etc then you're fine just ride it out -- 8 buy-ins is totally possible..just be sure to be honest and assess if all the pots you lose are bad beats...good luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM

certainly not all are bad beats. the first 5 or 6 were pretty tough losses, but then i definitely made a few mistakes in the last few buy ins. however, these games are usually so easy that you can make some mistakes and still be a solid winner.