Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Itunes (the devil)

Hi, I have an ipod and am trying to copy LEGAL music from my computer to my ipod. However, I have reformatted my computer since buying my ipod. Prior to reformatting my computer, I could easily tranfer music to my ipod. I no longer have most of the music on my computer that is on my ipod.

I have reinstalled Itunes and it doesn't want to let me transfer music. I have read a lot about this problem but I'm hoping there is some clear cut answer. I am even open to the idea of transferring all the music from my ipod back onto my computer then "reformatting" my ipod but I cannot figure out how to do that either.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Itunes (the devil)

This is correct, you can only synch new music from iTunes to the iPod, not the other way around.

It's pretty easy though, just don't auto synch, mount the iPod as a hard drive, navigate through the folders. Just pull all the music to your hard drive and reimport into iTunes. You can then resynch to your iPod.

The music is stored in weird folder names on the iPod and they'll really make no sense, just just grab the top level. I'm sure this is documented on "unofficial" sites.

In the future, remember that iTunes is the master, not the iPod and don't reformat until you pull your music off.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:05 PM

if you get ephpod then you can do anything you want.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you get ephpod then you can do anything you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Second; I consider Ephpod to be the superior program for you purposes. And I listen to music on my desktop using winamp dagnabbit!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Just copy the Ipod_control folder from the ipod. Make sure you computer can see hidden folders. Then go to My computers/Your Ipod/ipod_control.

You will need a id3 tag editing program, because all the songs will be labeled in numbers.