Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: 4-way, flopped quads, with maniac in mix

[ QUOTE ]
The example you gave was HU. Playing passively with a monster in a MULTI-way pot is 99.9% incorrect. And all of the sudden you changed your read on Villain on us.

[/ QUOTE ]
After the flop it was heads-up.

When the other two players were in the pot, don't I want to keep them in? If I can get two bets from them off overcalls instead of raising to force them out and getting one extra bet from Maniac, isn't that a good result?

This is a small pot, isn't it? It's four-way, but it's unraised.

I don't think I changed my read on Maniac. Based on the flop, he has one of the following hands:

1. a 7
2. a pocket pair
3. high cards like A/K
4. diddly squat

I ruled out 2. and 3. because he only limped in preflop. Therefore, if he has a 7, I've missed a ton of value by not reraising and capping. But if he has nothing, I let him give me three big bets because I played possum. And since he played almost any two cards, the odds were a lot better that he had diddly squat than they were that he had a 7.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT, one more than one occasion on these boards (here, for one), the conventional wisdom said not to raise a monster hand against someone aggressive. If he's on a bluff, we want him to continue the bluff and not beat him with the clue stick until he figures out that we have the best hand.

Obviously, this is results-oriented, but he was holding 10/8. Absolutely nothing. If I reraise him on the flop, I don't make a nickel from him the rest of the hand. Instead, I let him think he could bluff me out, and he gave me three big bets on fourth and fifth street (though why he called my river raise with ten-high baffles me).

Why is one situation different from the other? How can I assume he'll continue to jam the pot when I'm holding the megaphone to his ear and shouting "MY HAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS, DUMBASS!"?

[/ QUOTE ]

um he payed off your river c/r with Thigh, he's not folding at any point in the hand for 1, secondly Maniacs like to bluff-raise scare cards so odds are that he'd raise when the board double-paired or when the board 3flushed, allowing you to 3bet and he'd pay that off

you try and go to war with a maniac when you have a monster
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the other two players were in the pot, don't I want to keep them in?

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is better accomplished by betting the flop, not check/raising or check/calling.