Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Aggression Factor

Being new to Pokertracker, I'm still getting a feel for the ins and outs. Of the basic stats, I understand VPIP and PFR% and what is the norm and what is crazy in those numbers.

But, I'm still trying to "get" Aggression Factor. First off, when people provide this number in a hand thread, are they including preflop in the equation? My numbers for NL100 full are:

1.07 (with preflop included)
2.73 (without preflop)

I understand how they get the number...but...how do these numbers compare to yours? What are good parameters that you have found where you can say this guy is crazy aggressive, and this guy is way passive? Thoughts on AF are appreciated for this newbie.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Aggression Factor

when some one says "the dude was 33/15/3" they mean a postflop aggression factor of 3

My postflop aggression is ~4

generally, bellow 1 is way passive, above 4 is way aggressive
Old 12-30-2005, 10:55 PM

More on aggression in NL can be found when discussing the PT NK autorates and player categories here:

http://www.andymcnish.btinternet.co.uk/newauto.htm

BTW Agreesion Frequency (the PAHUD stat) is generally regarded as a better measure - for NL 50 is about what you would expect for a pretty aggressive player.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:03 AM

I don't include preflop, because PFR gives a good feel for preflop aggression. This is probably the most important stat (yes, ahead of PFR and VP$IP) because it tells you how they will bet a hand postflop. If someone with PFA > 3.5 is putting me all-in, I'm far more likely to call than someone wiht PFA of 1.0 (1.0 means their all-in=nuts).

People with low postflop aggression and high VP$IP are generally calling stations, I like to sit to their left to get paid off.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:42 AM

I'm somewhere around 22/9/4.8 (w/o PF)

I'm amazed I still get calls at NL50, but they love to do it!

But at any rate, my aggression number is so high because of cbets, raises I like to make with draws or TP, semi-bluff 2 barrel bets, that stuff.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:49 AM

Hmmm. I've always considered myself to be aggressive, you know, the whole TAG bit. But both you guys who mentioned your number are 4's, and my 2.7 looks mild by comparison.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:51 AM

Dunno... Part of it may be short term luck - two years ago the first responses from this forum would have been:

Sample size is too small. Come back in 100k hands.

EDIT: Another thing to note is that, when I compiled the majority of these numbers, I was playing a style heavily influenced by Super System, and it basically entailed picking on players who didn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude for big bet poker. Worked awesome for my wallet, but volatility was through the roof. Now I'm working on tweaking my style to get volatility down (even though I think I'll be sacrificing win rate), and those numbers will undoubtedly fall some.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 AM

my numbers over 4 as well but like me i suspect the 2 op's play 6 max mainly, an i think you play full ring mainly?

im pretty sure there would be a difference in the two. i know my turn number would be much lower for full bcos im more likely to call/check for pot control. in 6 max im more likely to bet/raise bcos im happy against alot of players playing big pots with overpair/tptk/low 2 pair.

that was a bit rambly but may give some idea why your number is a tad lower.

paul
Old 12-31-2005, 11:13 AM

My post flop agression is 1.46 (up from 1.24 since I posted my pt stats and u guys told me to be more agressive). I think anything over 2 is pretty agressive.

There is no perfect number. If someone has a low agression factor and comes out firing then beware.